Are emissions figures all wrong

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I have been thinking a lot about this recently and I think that the emissions figures are all wrong.

Now I might misunderstand how they work but here is my opinion of the situation with a pretty extreme example (all the numbers are made up but illustrate the point!).

Take a Vauxhall Corsa with a 1.6 Litre engine and an emissions figure of 225.

This car will do an average of 33mpg and covers 12,000 miles per year.

Put the same engine in a larger Vauxhall Vectra and the engine will have to work harder and only do 22mpg and covers 12,000 miles per year.

(Perhaps the CO2 figure takes this into account already but surely the least economical of the cars should have a higher road tax? Can anyone clarify this point?)

Now on to the point. IF the driver in the Vectra only does 3000 miles per year and the Corsa driver does 20,000 is it fair that they both spend the same on road tax?

What about abolishing road tax and just having the duty on fuel to level things out between heavy and light users.

i agree with this.What about abolishing road tax and just having the duty on fuel to level things out between heavy and light users.. try and Get your head round this i drive a 207 hdi 110 sport and pay £120 road tax.My mate has a 207 hdi 110 GT he pays £35 roadtax both cars have the same engine and exact same engine management system and put out same emissions. only difference mine is 4 door his is 2.he dose double the miles i do yet he pays less???????

pya you might be able to get yours droped
as a customer of mine has 2 smart cars both the same just one is one year older
i cant remember the right figers but the tax was due on both of them yet one was 65 and the other 35 so he went to the dvla office and said about it and they said get a emissions print out from a mot bay witch i did for him he went down there and got it droped to 35 quid as they said it was classed as the higher emissions not that they only did one engine for that car.

but i agree with putting it on fuel in a way my trans am is 180 quid a year as it does not go on any co2 bands due to its a yank import just as well really lol but that drinks fuel like no bodys bussness so would cost me more in a year going to the same places
yet my little suzuki jeep is 120 quid a year and uses no petrol so i would save on that one

so some cars it would be better on other no so