Are diesels losing their old boy image

Yes this is what I was going on about in another thread,
No wonder my old rattley mechanical inject turbo diesel are so good, yes a new car will do more mpg but I won't need to get the dealer to plug in his diagnostic box everytime something goes wrong, but cause it's sooo simple it doesn't go wrong....
and it's not like it's a slouch though I have surprised a few pd140's

But yeah I know what you mean though, the torque delivery on turbo diesel's is very savage, the engine might last long but you can't help but thinking how many more clutches, flywheels, driveshafts and gearboxes (and set's of tyres come to think of it)am I going to destroy during my car's life time,

It's a very tough call and I've come to the awkward time as well HDI where I'm not sure whether to stick with diesel or go for a petrol....
a gti-6 does sound nice, so does a lancia delta 16v
but so does a 306 2.2 hdi.......

You can fit a solid flywheel in place of the DMF - it comes as a complete kit as the clutch is different as well. Personally I'd not do this, I think that the angular torque reversal (which is quite significant in a 4 cylinder engine) could do more harm to the engine itself over an extended period.

What you have to considered is that torque is a measure of the engines turning force and hp is a measure of "work done" so to speak, and hp is also directly proportionate to torque

So really a turbo petrol generally speaking is producing it's hp though the big amount of torque that the turbo is serving up,

and high revving petrol's produce there hp because they work very hard as in very high up in the power band,

as for diesels the big amount of torque they have is down to the high compression ratio and big boost,

From what I can work out that is why a turbo diesel that is producing the same torque as a turbo petrol will never put out the same power because the petrol revs higher, and the same power petrol and diesel, the diesel will always produce far more torque due to the massive boost and compression,

That is how I see it...