Are car faults engineered

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I will accept that this is a cynical view but one could assert that car makers build in weak spots and mechanical failures to get extra revenue further down the line.

Do you think this is deliberate or is it just a bye product of cost cutting?

Thinks like Dual Mass flywheels, Vauxhall hazzard switches and VAG water pumps are all things that spring to mind.

Discuss.........

i think it falls more into the planned obselenience, (prolly spelled that wrong) category. They can't make em like they did in the old days or the wouldn't be able to give thier company head private jets and the like. I wouldn't say that they are delibrately engineering flaws but i would say that alot of the minor flaws they overlook just due to the need to get the model out and the cost of redesigning that flaw. im sure you know that when ever you redue one thing it breaks 5 others.

i am sure if it they know they will brake in a few years due to how cheap bits are made now

if they get half the people with cars go back to there dealerships they are quids in

them audi and vw water pumps are bad who puts plastic fins on a alu splindle in the hotist bit of the engine not thinking it wont break and its not like its easy to replace

Dont think its so much engineered faults. think its more the cost cutting, using cheap materials to get higher profits.

if a customer has to come in every 3-4 years to ge something changed then..... Make up your own mind

as most people only keep a car for normally 3 or 4 years anyway then maybe they will only get each owner in once

Defects actually cost the manufacturer more money. They suppliy the original part and then often have to supply a replacement part under warranty (which are getting longer and longer) and swallow the cost. Parts failing is just part of motoring. Bits have always broke and wore out, but now things are more technical and precisly engineered which is why they may seem more expensive.

Also the modern car now has a life expectancy which is roughly 10 years due to service and repair costs Vs vehicle value.

Vauxhall liked its cambelt tensioners made of fibre (chipboard stuff) for some years. Possibly this was subversive.

'Break' IS NOT 'BRAKE' - are you lot trying to wind me up?

i do think older cars are better build,not so much on the saftey, because we all know every year cars are build to be safer, but on build qualty

for example
all cars were RWD or 4WD before the 90s (not sure on dates)
car makers then choose a FWD system to build because it was cheaper instead of running a drive system through the whole car

now, ive heard this the other day and dont know how true it is but
NISSAN always had a timing chain which lasted 250,000 miles or so
but now they have belts like the rest of the cars
so is this them making money of parts???
i mean , why change somthing if it already worked well??

id say, years ago when there was compitition between manufactuers,cars were built to last,
but now they dont give a s;;;

'Break' IS NOT 'BRAKE' - are you lot trying to wind me up?

do we have out very own spelling nazi/grammer police in the making here :p

anyway back on topic

i agree with fingers.

new cars are a lot more technical and have sensors all over the place, extra things to BREAK, whereas old cars have very solid part and were not build for refinary, just to last.

Older cars are fragile. Modern machinery is pretty robust. As are the brakes. They don't break. The grammar policing service is alive and well, too! Cheers, P

Older cars are fragile. Modern machinery is pretty robust. As are the brakes. They don't break. The grammar policing service is alive and well, too! Cheers, P

I have to disagree with this one, i have a 1954 jeep willys pickup that i hardly ever have any down time with, same with my 1984 suburban. now my 95z and my wifes 06 pontiac always seem to have a sensor here, or a wire there, that isn't working correctly. I say get rid of the computers and just go back to basic engineering. You won't have a computer to tell you where your ratios are bugged but that never stopped us old school racers before.

It depends on the car setup. Modern cars are tuned to much tighter tolerances and generally run more economically than older cars. Pre electronic ignition/injection cars were still a pain if you started tweaking the timing and carbs. I guess if it is left in standard tune there is less to go wrong.

I take Fingers point that warantee repairs cost but so many of these faults occur just outside of warrantee.;)

The warranty process also increases the price of the repairs as the dealers know they're immune to the cost if they're reimbursed by the manufacturer.

I find it funny how companies like Merc nowadays have a worse reputation for faults then someone like Mazda. I think to provide the 'luxury' car to the customer with lovely interiors and every function possible they have to cut cost to make it a sane price, They test run everything in a car and will now its shelf life so yes i reckon they do know it will fail but as long as it doesn't come back to them thats fine!!
I am a german tuner for the fact that the engines are robust, The ancilleries and bits like water pumps aren't on the same level as japs, They engineer for life and keep the cost down by making the vehicle more practical then luxury.
Here is food for thought 'how can kia offer such a long warranty and Merc,BMW don't????'