Are blue headlights legal in the uk?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
By Anonymous on Monday, December 22, 2003 - 08:24 pm: Edit

Is it illegal to have blue headlights in the UK? Can I have a strobe light flashing under the car at the back?

By Turbosound on Monday, March 29, 2004 - 12:32 pm: Edit

Can I have all red break lights on my beetle as my 1302s had when i got it?????

By Anonymous on Friday, April 09, 2004 - 11:35 pm: Edit

How do you get rid of the orange corner on the 2001 A4 lights without getting a new one?

By Anonymous on Sunday, April 11, 2004 - 03:38 pm: Edit

To answer the first person's question about the headlights. No its not illegal. The 2nd questions, as long as it is easy to turn of the strobe light seperatley when a policeman/woman asks its fine. Someof them care, some dont.

Dont know about the other ones though, sorry

Nice site

My Garage took out my Blue bulbs for the MOT they wouldn't pass it otherwise. It was only the side lights! Oh Please!!!

blue light to the front is illegal as you said. This is MOT fail and if they dont fail it they are breaking the law. The blue lights on the washer jets are questionable but there has been no case law yet.

My local MOT were quite happy to pass the lights provided the beam pattern was the same. Cant see them being too much of a problem, better than those on BM's and Merc where you drive past temporarily blind.

Faze - you're back - welcome. Where have you been?

I guess your local MOT testing station are more relaxed than mine - or did you slip the guy a fiver?

Spain and spain again, for a month! One of the best holidays ive had in a good while! Cheers for the PM :D. To be honest i dont think they would ever let anything mechanical get through, lights arnt doing any harm to anyone and he seemed to think they were legal as he didnt say it with a wink etc!

As stated by a police officer on documentary "anything that could be conscrewed as a police light is illegal". It is the law obviously, do you honestly think its not actually covered in the law? Dont be silly

Basically stay away from using blue lights, its obvious and pretty stupid to use blue headlights and blue neons.

neons distract other drivers as its not a familiar sight to see lights anywhere else than the middle front of a car etc. HID lights appear blue, but nobody argues the toss that you get blinded by them and the only benefit is for the driver of the HID dwelling car who appears to see everything in full beam, lucky chap.

depends on what kind of blue lights you are on about. there are loads. ice blue is a bright white light and it looks blue when your far away, these are not illegal. sports blue are blue all the time, these are illegal. ice white are just bright white and if you have the beam too high then this could cause oncoming drivers to lose eye sight lol funny but dangerous. the best ones out at the moment our called ultra xenon - these are 60% better than standard lights. and they are sold for about 20 pound in motor world or halfords. if you dont fancy the bright option then get the xenon plus which are 30% better then normal head lights. these are baout 15 pound. if i was you i'd either get the ultra or the ice blue which look like an HID gas look

hope this helps people

recently my mate got pulled for having blue sidelights and was told to replace them or he will be going to court (killjoys)

however, it is simple enough to buy blue LEDs and fix them into your headlights (at the side somwhere) so you're not replacing sidelight bulbs, connect this to a fusebox then the battery, but splice in a switch to your interior.

the effect is similar to blue sidelights but instead you can turn them off at an instant, it is a good idea to seal aroud the holes you make in the headlights

hope you get what i mean, sometimes it comes out dodgy but its hard to get the idea out and make it make sense to everyone else... :?

and i agree completely about BMW & mercedes new lights, they are agony. makes me want to put full beam on...taste of own medicine.... :twisted: