Anyone know much about snow tyres?

blacklineninja

Track Warrior
The father-in-law's Fiat 500 struggled to move anywhere back in January time when the world was more white than black so he's thinking about getting it some all-weather tyres. He knows which ones he needs, but being a budget-minded kind of guy, he wants to know if he'll be able to get away with just putting them on the front wheels as the 500 is front-wheel drive, or would he be safer having the full set?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Anyone snow tyres much?

For the limited snow we get in this country I doubt it is really worth it. Snow tyres are studded and unsuitable on any road that is not snow covered.

Why not look at chains or snow socks for the car instead?

Remind him that although he can stop and go there are 10000's of other motorists out there just ready to slide into him!

I believe (but do not know for sure) that it is general practice to put chains on the driven wheels only.

i seen loads of cars with chains on them and they struggled, but i agree with wayne and say that only driven wheels will need, all tho if rwd then will need them on front aswell to help steering, not 100% sure on this but common sense i would of thought.

Sorry, I've not put this very well. It's All Weather Tyres rather than full studded snow tyres he's looking at.

The problem is, he does actually need to be able to travel whatever the weather as he's responsible for looking after people with disabilities, many of whom depend on him and his colleagues to make sure they are safe and healthy, especially in weather like we had at the start of the year.

All weather tyres just stay softer at low temps if this is what I'm thinking is correct. They are compulsory in Germany but they still will not be much better in the snow than standard tyres.

If it was me i'd buy a set of the fabric wheel socks such as these... Click! Their easier to fit than chains & take less space than a set of wheels. :D

If it was me i'd buy a set of the fabric wheel socks such as these... Click! Their easier to fit than chains & take less space than a set of wheels. :D

Thanks for the info Loz, did not even know such things existed! :embarrest:

Sorry, I've not put this very well. It's All Weather Tyres rather than full studded snow tyres he's looking at.

The problem is, he does actually need to be able to travel whatever the weather as he's responsible for looking after people with disabilities, many of whom depend on him and his colleagues to make sure they are safe and healthy, especially in weather like we had at the start of the year.

does he works for the council??? my old man used to refuse to go out in his car (on the grounds it was dangerous, and he would be in breach of his contract if he didnt have a vehicle for work;)) so they paid for local taxi firms to take the risk for him!!!