Anyone done any weight saving to their cars

Prince

Torque King
Car
BMW E36 318is Coupe
Has anybody here done some weight saving to their own car? What have you actually done? Personally I've got a carbon fibre bonnet so far and plan to get a carbon fibre spoiler...but like HDi, I want to keep the comfort in my car.

Re: weight saving

Buy a Renault - they have self weight limiting inbuilt due to the propensity for bits to fall off over a short period of ownership.

Last edited:
Re: weight saving

lol @ HDI.

or like the cavalira (sp?) my dad had, the door fell off, quite a lot of weight saving there.

already started saving up for mods for my car when I get it.

gonna sell my bike soon as I am doing my full bike test in 3 weeks (if weather permits) and will be able to get the 600cc bike I want with about 7-800 pounds left in pocket after selling my current bike.

that, with the money I've been saving should come to a nice amount for either a A4 quattro or a 1.6vtec civic.

will be getting every panel thats removable carbon fibered, all glass removed and plexi put in, if it has powered electic seats they are being changed out for non powered seats as they are a lot lighter. (have the money for that now, just need to get the car lol)

ETA: things have changed a bit since the orig post, HDI's post about comfort and silence aswell as handling and speed has made me think, as it will be used on cold/wet/windy days when using my bike is too deadly Im thinking I will want some comforts.

Last edited:
i have a micra k 10 its around 600kg as standerd i think? i have no interior want a light wight carpet gona re make the door cards with the thin stuff, remake the dash and thats it. unless i take out fuel tank but doesn't that have to have a bulkhead in front?

if its not needed then it can go lol . so the wife was first ha ha.

Not much left in my car...
Perspex rear window & rear side windows,
Fibreglass bonnet & soon to be fibreglass boot lid,
Side impact bars removed.
No interior,
Working on a small cut down dash too.
Very minimal stereo set up that can be easily removed for less weight.
Tar to be removed from interior panels soon (honest). :amuse:

Not much left in my car...
Perspex rear window & rear side windows,
Fibreglass bonnet & soon to be fibreglass boot lid,
Side impact bars removed.
No interior,
Working on a small cut down dash too.
Very minimal stereo set up that can be easily removed for less weight.
Tar to be removed from interior panels soon (honest). :amuse:

any pictures and weight lost ect

well there ant nothing left only the sound deadening on the floor and re make the dash as thin as pos. how thin do you think is ok? i want to get started this weekend but need to finish this grill first.

I think I keep my car on the weighty side. It never goes on a track and I cover long journeys so comfort is important to me. And it's not particularly slow anyway

I think I keep my car on the weighty side. It never goes on a track and I cover long journeys so comfort is important to me. And it's not particularly slow anyway

I would never do it to my daily driver anyway. The noise is silly once you've removed all the sound-proofing and it's nice to have some tunes.

I would never do it to my daily driver anyway. The noise is silly once you've removed all the sound-proofing and it's nice to have some tunes.

Yeah, it would be a shame to have to install 30 kilowatts of amplification just to hear the music over the road/engine etc noise ;)

That lot would be pretty weighty anyway, kind of negating the weight reduction.

Just stripped out my Accord today, well the rear of it. It has made a massive difference.

Check the pics in my gallery section to see how much junk I removed.