anyone did the IAM course?

Ciganjo

Tuner
Car
Honda Civic ES 1.8
Ive been thinking for a long time whether I should do the IAM (Institute of Advanced Motoring) course. Any one here done it? What kind of stuff do they teach you on it?

I did it years ago. I also did the ROADA one. They're not bad courses but some of it seems outdated compared to the current Police System Of Car control. Some parts of the IAM test seem to conflict directly with The Police System

In general the advanced tests are never a bad idea and they can be very helpful to people who pass the basic L test and find that developing their own skills on their own is a struggle.

There are two disadvantages. One is indirect, insofar as the people who are most in need of additional instruction are generally those least likely to seek it.

Secondly, there is a very tengible risk that some drivers, having gained an 'advanced' pass certificate, immediately think themselves to be superior to all other road users and they become arrogant drivers.

I'm my opinion attitude is the single most important attribute a road user can possess so I'm in two minds as to the true value of such tests. As such I quit my membership many years ago.

I have also undertaken some training with a Police Class 1 license holder/examiner. That was very very interesting a brilliant insight into 'proper' professional driving. All mine was on road, pursuit specific techniques are specifically excluded.

Have a look at Ride Drive if you're interested.

Have a look through the Road Craft books & there are tutorial vids on youtube. I've never taken the test myself, was going too but I spend all my money racing & tuning my cars instead...Much better driver experience!!::cool::cool:

I was speaking to somebody who runs an advanced driving school the other day & he didn't recommend an advanced test when I asked him about it. He spent more time talking about some of the cars he's driven round the nurburgring... NSX V6 VTEC, Audi R8, Lambo's. Lucky Bstard

Have a look through the Road Craft books & there are tutorial vids on youtube. I've never taken the test myself, was going too but I spend all my money racing & tuning my cars instead...Much better driver experience!!::cool::cool:

I was speaking to somebody who runs an advanced driving school the other day & he didn't recommend an advanced test when I asked him about it. He spent more time talking about some of the cars he's driven round the nurburgring... NSX V6 VTEC, Audi R8, Lambo's. Lucky Bstard

Road driving is totally different from track driving

Weeell... there are similarities:

The art of looking ahead and planning your next move is important on the highway as well as the track.

Being aware of other racers/drivers

Knowing the handling characteristics of your race/road car.

Collision avoidance :)

Learning how to regain control on the track can be a life saver on the highway, particuarly in inclement weather.

One thing that shouldn't (IMO) be transferred from the track to the highway is the 'racing line'.

Weeell... there are similarities:

The art of looking ahead and planning your next move is important on the highway as well as the track.

Being aware of other racers/drivers

Knowing the handling characteristics of your race/road car.

Collision avoidance :)

Learning how to regain control on the track can be a life saver on the highway, particuarly in inclement weather.

One thing that shouldn't (IMO) be transferred from the track to the highway is the 'racing line'.

It is a drive planning thing. If we get into skid recovery situations frequently then that's the message to the driver to rethink the approach and maybe back off a little bit.

Did my AIM test that took 3.5 hours away from my area a long long time ago.
Have instructed many defensive,advanced and skid pan days and generally most participants will come away with a better understanding of what their car will do in some areas as well as their and their cars limits etc.
IMO it comes down to the individuals attitude and their willingness to put into practice the lessons\instructions from the course they have done.

You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

I am sure I would learn a lot from this course. I was once lead to believe that if you took it and passed, you could then expect a reduction in your insurance premiums; but unfortunately this is not automatic so you have to wonder where the incentive is now to try & better yourself.

I suspect that some people will undertake and pass an advanced driving test quite successfully. This is all good provided that the new found 'skills' don't lead them to take greater risks than they did previously.

As I've said many times: attitude is the single biggest factor.