Any upgrade advice for the 116i?

Sefy

Car
BMW E46 & E87
Hello,

I've had my beloved e87 2008 116i for 3 years. I've bought some new rims, bumper, etc for but no performance modifications.
I am well aware of the stupid idea of spending money on a slow engine, but I'm not selling the car regardless what happens to it. Planning on engine swapping it in the future when or if the engine breaks down for good.

In the meantime, does anyone know of safe reliable upgrades I could do?

Thanks,
Sefy

Hello and welcome Sefy |B

Have you thought about a suspension and brake upgrade to be ready for when you drop in an M3 engine ?

Hello and welcome Sefy |B

Have you thought about a suspension and brake upgrade to be ready for when you drop in an M3 engine ?
Haha thank you,

It feels foolish to do a brake upgrade with stock engine. the engine swapping won't be happening for a while.

Haha thank you,

It feels foolish to do a brake upgrade with stock engine. the engine swapping won't be happening for a while.

Well you joined TC asking for ways to improve your Beamer and said that you are planning an engine swap sometime in the future and am guessing that it won't be one with less power than you already have so IMO it would be "foolish" not to consider upgrading the brakes and suspension to be ready handle the potentially vastly increased performance .

Been there done that :)

Well you came asking for ways to improve your Beamer and said that you are planning an engine swap sometime in the future and am guessing that it won't be one with less power than you already have so IMO it would be "foolish" not to upgrade the brakes and suspension to be ready handle the potentially vastly increased performance .

B
Yeah for sure, I definitely agree. Engine swapping it won't be for a few years. It's something I'm gonna be doing once I get my own place + garage etc. I should've mentioned the time frame of the swap to avoid confusion.

I was more interested in any performance upgrades to the engine itself. I'm not expecting anything crazy like tearing down the engine and rebuilding it with forged pistons to handle a turbo. I know it's a stupid way to spend money but it's more of a learner engine.

The only way to get a worthwhile power increase would come down to porting and polishing the head and upgrading the cams and a freer flowing exhaust system along with a remap of the ECU or by adding adding a low pressure supercharger and a remap IF there is one available to suit your motor.