Any spoiler fans?

MickieH

Torque Junkie
Car
Probe 2.5L 24v V6
Who likes spoilers, and what type of spoiler do you prefer.

This was my last one
DSC00804.jpg

Sprayed up myself from this
DSC00785.jpg

Originally fitted to my first Probe a few years back
DSC00811.jpg

DSC00805.jpg

It's in the garage somewhere now though and that's probably where it'll stay too.

What's your favourite type?

In general I don't like spoilers. I do think they need to match the profile of the boot they are on so if it curves down then the rear wing needs to.

I do quite like your spoiler but to be brutally honest and it is just my opinion I don't think it looks right on a probe. A Cosworth Sierra style wing would probably look more subtle.

I don't get why people put spoilers on hatch backs (the silly ones that sit on the roof!)

I've actually removed mine from my E36! It looks better smooth. Spoilers/wings belong on RWD cars only imo otherwise it's pointless.

Yeah, I like that spoiler, it's just not going back on as just doesn't fit my theme anymore.

This is one I quite like.
[url]http://www.m-99.co.uk/Car_Bodykits/Ford_Probe/probe_evo.jpg[/url] [img]

They don't really serve any useful purpose, but some look pretty good.

Overall I'm going for the smooth look so not decided if I'm actually going to fit any spoiler yet.[/QUOTE]

If you want the smooth style then either leave it spoiler-less or go for something subtle. Like a lip spoiler. If you need inspiration think E46 CSL bootlid (as I know you want smoothed panels).

Errrrrr, this isn't a spoiler, unless you are referring to its affect on the car's appearance :)

Last edited:
I much prefer the boot lid lip version for a rear spoiler! I don't think that there are many cars around (on the street) that can carry off the look to be honest, and some versions of them just look plain silly IMO.

No, I don't like it anymore either, that's why it's in the garage, and will either get flogged, or end up on the scrap van :lol:

Errrrrr, this isn't a spoiler, unless you are referring to its affect on the car's appearance :)

It was an appearance mod only, and quite an annoying one too, as you couldn't see anything out of the rear view :rolleyes: plus it rattled a lot :lol:

Put it up for sale on Ebay, as someone will be bound to think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread! The money coming in can then be spent elsewhere on your project! :)

It depends whether the spoiler is for show or go.

Spoilers do work - you only have to watch F1 to see the difference they can make.

But they will only work if the R & D has been done and often it hsnt been .

It depends whether the spoiler is for show or go.

Spoilers do work - you only have to watch F1 to see the difference they can make.

But they will only work if the R & D has been done and often it hsnt been .

They are not bloody spoilers!!!!! : -)

So what are they then?
confused.gif

F1 cars are covered in various types of wing.

A vehicle wing generates downforce, a spolier doesn't, it just does what it is called. It 'spoils' the airflow thereby reducing any lift being generated by the car's body profile.

I have just read what Wiki has to say about spoilers and wings and they don't know they are talking about either! For example (a quote from Wiki):

Most of the cars used in car races and other fast action-packed sports have Wings. This helps the cars reach extreme high speeds in a matter of seconds.

Last edited:
Most of the cars used in car races and other fast action-packed sports have Wings. This helps the cars reach extreme high speeds in a matter of seconds.
AWHATTHE!? Isn't this true?? Most boy-racers adopt this policy

wings;)
and i only learned this through being on here and reading a post or 2 og has made

I am much wiser now! ;) cheers Herb and OG :)

I will try not to make this mistake again :embarrest:

Last edited:
Just in case anyone is still unsure :)

Spoiler. Usually a SMALL upturned lip that is designed to break up (or spoil) the airflow - usually, but not always - over the rear of the vehicle. Many vehicle shapes create lift at the rear end and a correctly positioned spoiler will break up the airflow thereby reducing the lift.

Wing. Shaped like an aircraft wing (hence its name) but upside down. Instead of producing lift it developes downforce. This is what hangs out at the front, rear and sides of F1 cars.

Most of the appendages attached to the rear of road cars are neither spoilers or wings, they are just plastic drag inducers. A lot of them look like wings but most have little or no aerodynamic properties and are there for show only. All they achieve is produce additional drag which will slow the car down!

Even a properly designed and positioned wing will not make a noticable difference to a road vehicle's downforce below 60mph.

For a wing to work properly it should be in clean air flow and be clear of the body, i.e. there should be nothing but air between the wing and the road surface

Now that you know how each works, you won't be calling them by the wrong name anymore, please? :)

Another one of my pet hates :) is calling dampers shock absorbers. They are only called shocks in the USA.

The shock absorber on the suspension is the spring. The springs tendancy to continue to oscillate after being compressed would make the ride unbearable if left to their own devices. However, by fitting a damper these oscillations can be controlled.

So, the metal tube with a piston is called a damper in the UK, NOT a shock absorber.

If not convinced, try removing the springs from your car and see how much shock absorbing the dampers do!

End of lecture :) I think I will go and lie down in a darkened room for a while.

Last edited:
@ OG, Bless him! :bigsmile:

Dampers not shocks, Wings not Spoilers! Got it! I may be slow but I get there in the end :lol:

@ OG, Bless him! :bigsmile:

Dampers not shocks, Wings not Spoilers! Got it! I may be slow but I get there in the end :lol:

I know it's trivial to most, but there is no harm in getting it right and you won't then sound like a numpty when talking to people who actually know what they are talking about :)

:lol: The world is a more educated place now OG! Enjoy your lie down. I'm sure HDI will be along to discuss the subtle differences between brake and break! ;)

Nobody would dare take the wee wee out of our most elder of statesman OG! :bigsmile:

Last edited:
Nobody would dear take the wee wee out of our most elder of statesman OG! :bigsmile:

If that is the case, then I am very disappointed with the lot of you. I can take it as well as give it out :)

That's quite a move HDI you'll be closer to the M40 though and Kent will be half an hour nearer! (Probably 10 mins nearer as you are a BMW driver ;))

Whats the broadband speed like out there?