Any simple (and cheap) mods to increase power of my 1995 Ford 2.5 TD engine

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
Any increase will be welcome. Unfortunately it's too old for a remap :-(
Increase fuel rate?
Octane booster?

Increasing the fuelling is your only real option and the easy choice. Dropping the intake temp sensor readings lower will raise the fuel a little. A small resistor is your friend here....

Turbo wastegate is another option for you, it might be possible on this to increase the boost and fuelling for a modest power hike.

I'm sure there are lots of cheapo tuning boxes on ebay around with little resistors in them that will give you another 100bhp easily! :lol:

You must be aware that u have mechanicalfuel injection so the fuel pump and turbo are the parts that will get you the most results, using the old mec pump on the 306 tdi can make over 180bhp by subtle mods using parts of thetransit pump and larger turbo ofthe same manufacturer, this is a general rule for upgrades on a budget , look for the make and part number of the fuel pump for example and see what the bigger version is fitted to

You must be aware that u have mechanicalfuel injection so the fuel pump and turbo are the parts that will get you the most results, using the old mec pump on the 306 tdi can make over 180bhp by subtle mods using parts of thetransit pump and larger turbo ofthe same manufacturer, this is a general rule for upgrades on a budget , look for the make and part number of the fuel pump for example and see what the bigger version is fitted to

I don't want to go down the upgrade route if I can avoid it, I have enough to do with the Elan :) However, thanks for the info which I will keep for future reference.

A fuel rate increase first and see how that works. I will decide if further upgrades are needed once I drive it fully loaded with trailer for a race weekend.

I don't want to go down the upgrade route if I can avoid it, I have enough to do with the Elan :) However, thanks for the info which I will keep for future reference don't f

A fuel rate increase first and see how that works. I will decide if further upgrades are needed once I drive it fully loaded with trailer for a race weekend.

A resistor on the air intake temp sensor feed will read colder air, injecting more fuel. (It's all the cheap tuning boxes do.) Hopefully the exhaust sensor will read rich and increase the air from the turbo. If you do the wastegate and fuel mods carefully you should be fine.

Not sure of the specifics though, I'm sure you have to choose resistors carefully. Resistors are futile as the Borg would say!

It's a very crude method of tuning. Air temperature, mass, flow, density, pressure metering is very precisely regulated. You can't just slap a resistor in and expect results. It's akin to trying to sort out a tracking problem by adjusting tyre pressures!!

:)

However, I think that I have found a way to increase performance. Whilst vacuuming the van I noticed that as well as a carpet there is a car mat under the pedals! I don't think that I was getting full throttle :) I have pulled the car mat back away from the pedals and will see if I notice any difference tomorrow. I am off to the Pod sans trailer but I can still check on top speed and acceleration. I will report back.

It's a very crude method of tuning. Air temperature, mass, flow, density, pressure metering is very precisely regulated. You can't just slap a resistor in and expect results. It's akin to trying to sort out a tracking problem by adjusting tyre pressures!!
But they sell loads of ebay tuning boxes which do just that! It can't be bad if they sell so many can it? ;)