Any QG15DE easy upgrades to improve hp?

DamionG1

Wrench Pro
Car
Nissan Sunny B15
Hi. I have a Nissan Sunny with a QG15DE engine and i was wondering if there are any small simple upgrades that i can do to this engine and car to improve its performance. not looking for a monster but rather a "better roar for the meaow" that it has currently. i did install Bosch Iridium IXs - BRR5E-11 and running Castrol GTX 20W-50 but thats about it. i did get a better "purr" from it though and a bit more talk from it on running. the fuel quality here i use it 95 Octane so with all this information can anyone suggest any ideas on how i can further better the "purr and talk" :) thanks all in advance

I would focus on reducing weight and improving the handling, the power mods get quite expensive for around 10hp more power. You'll get a similar gain using high octane fuel on a frosty cold winters morning.

Bear in mind that to get a remap on this you'll need an aftermarket ECU, Megasquirt and Apexi Power FC are two that our Nissan guys are talking about.

Replacing the exhaust will certainly give you that sporty sound you are after.

A set of new exhaust headers with a high flow cat will help raise the power as well, and with all the other mods you'll see around 10hp more, not much for your outlay. Bigger gains come from extensive engine work.

thanks Obi_Waynne i will definately consider your suggestions. whats your take on a drop-in type K&N air filter (with the oil definately) and a smoothening of the air flow box? the current setup already came with a stock rubber hose short ram size to the air box arrangement so i was reading up on this idea, has anyone tried this and seen much of a difference? would it be worth it?

.. also what oils do you recommend? trinidad is quite a hot country coming in at 35degC ambient. i use a standard Castrol 20W-50 normally without any additives. (changed on time always)

Hello there and a very warm welcome to TorqueCars, it's great to meet you. We hope you enjoy your time here, it is a really friendly place with everyone here ready to share experiences, swap tips and talk about cars. You'll fit in really well buddy.

Fully synthetic oils are so much better than mineral based oils. Ambient doesn't have too much of a bearing on your oil, it only really affects the startup as the engine warms up, and lets face it cold won't be a problem for you.