Any Mazda 323 4x4 owners?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Any Mazda 323 4x4 owners out there - please let us have your tuning tips of this often overlooked rallying legend.

mazda 323 2001

hi guys i was wondering if any one knows if 200bhp is possible
from a 2001 mazda 323 sport the 2 litre one and any idea of cost :D

323 mazda

not v6 mate 20 16valve flat the book says 130bhp dont know wear to start please help thanks :D

I've owned Cherie the Mazda 323 Turbo 4x4 ever since October 2001 but I've only driven her a couple of times because she was in need of restoration when I bought her and likewise now.

However she's been in dry storage since 2003 and little tinkerings happen now and again. All the electrics work now and it's always run with a full battery charge, tappety and smoky but that's likely the turbo.

I'm a bit upset that the pound has crashed because at one stage a shoestring restoration with imported (U.S.) parts was looking viable whereas now it's back to Mazda&Mitsubishi Spares in Rochdale which is the best source of parts in the Northwest I've managed to find so far.

I've too many other things on at the moment to sort it especially at this time of year but hopefully next March I'll start the gradual process of putting her back on the road.

Any problems I encounter with the restoration I'll post here along with solutions of course!

billy

That would be great billy. I always enjoy reading up on projects. It sounds like you have a plan. I'm sure the pound will pick up though.

I love those 323 turbo's they go like stink. They are also very very rare to come across one for sale. My mate had one a few years ago. He bought it as a project with a buggered engine. But that's all he did. "buy it". Cause he couldn't find a spare engine anywhere. I think he ended up selling the car.

Quick isn't the word-it has substantially more thrust than the ST160 Celica I took to Cannes 01 which reached a princely 145mph arrow-straight without a hint of tremor through the wheel. As for it's current and very scruffy state I wouldn't even be contemplating a restoration without Tony the mechanic who uses the other half of the lockup for snapped cambelts on Vauxhall Vectras and suchlike. It's the same basic twincam as the MX-5/323GTI which is why I kept a twincam out of one of the GTIs for a while but only until it got evicted by a Suzuki Bandit and a Honda scrambler because Mazda&Mitsubishi Spares Rochdale charge £50 for a 1600 twincam but you have to remove it yourself. All I can say about Nissan Primeras is fabulous engine lovely seats and very discreet so someone was an idiot for crashing a black one.

Hi Wayne, I had a 86 323 4x4 turbo about 6 years ago. I had problems getting anything for it. I managed to source a larger turbo and intercooler and after about 800 miles the crankshaft sheared behind the front pulley. Took 3 months to get a crank, so fitted it and sold car. It was an awesome bit of kit, but very fragile.

hello wayne between me n my friend we have 5 mazdas 86 to 89 all 323 4x4 turbos. they are all projects pics will be coming soon.

Image0042-1.jpg

the latest addition

3 of then are roadworthy just 2 left to go we got 2 black 1 silver 1 red and the white rally car which was originally built by milton keynes mazda, i will put pics up of the rest later today

I have a 92 323 gtr 4x4 turbo. Under restoration. Its mechanically fine. But the body needs a lot of work. Im hoping to get it as close to original as possible.