Any interesting new diesel engines

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
It's been a while since I read about interesting developments on the diesel engine? Has much happened worth talking about in the last year or so?

What is the best diesel engine around?

Jaguar, BMW and Renault are probably all in the running for this. I've dismissed the VAG group due to their DPF issues, which hopefully they have now sorted out.

The PSA engines as in my focus are considered to be brilliant. Ive no faults so far and its a pleasure to drive :)

I don't think DPF issues are restricted to VAG to be honest. It's simply that the issues are more widely reported because they sell more cars than the other three you mention.

VAG DPFs issues have been solved to the same extent as other manufactures as it was the older PD engines that smoked more caused them to block up.

would have to say about BMW for the twin charged engines

My 406 had an early implementation of a DPF which used a fuel borne chemical catalyst to lower the ignition temperature of the accumulated soot. Result - no DPF issues.

Apparently BMW is about to do a tri-turbo version of the 2933cc straight six engine. Sadly no RHD variant but I wouldn't be able to afford one anyway so hey ho

I think we can be assured it'll be reassuringly complex. Knowing BMW however, it'll work perfectly - BMW's isn't known for releasing under-developed technology.

^^ Never doubted for one minute, BMW have a reputation for engineering excellence that is the envy of many a so called prestige car manufacturer ;)

^^^ In some ways too much so. BMW can seem reserved at times compared to the likes of Volvo, Saab and Renault, for example. We cannot doubt the French for sheer innovation - look at the original Citroen DS for example

Wow! Very impressive, but surely a small turbo for peak torque is a bit useless. I can understand the twin turbo setup of small and large to combine to create decent antilag systems and quicker spool etc etc but what happens when the peak airflow is reached on the small turbo when at maximum pace? Surely it will run out of puff?

Wow! Very impressive, but surely a small turbo for peak torque is a bit useless. I can understand the twin turbo setup of small and large to combine to create decent antilag systems and quicker spool etc etc but what happens when the peak airflow is reached on the small turbo when at maximum pace? Surely it will run out of puff?

good plumbing to divert the flow around the turbo so its not a hinderance

I thought BMW would have spotted the catch tbh. BMW's not known for release technology that doesn't work.

Hence the reason the cars often seem boring compared to French rivals.

Just spotted this post. I dont know enough about engine development but my theory of the development is that, when I was lucky enough to have company cars a few years ago diesel engines were very well developed producing more MPG and less emmissions than petrol so car tax was lower and most company cars were not surpisingly Diesel. Cars went further and diesel was cheaper than petrol, now the Govt has increased the cost of Diesel so they make more as they were making less as the cars went further (surprise surprise) and guess what? Car manufacturers invested in making petrol engines as efficient or as is now the case more efficient than the diesels. Once lots of these efficient petrol engines get sold Petrol will be more expensive than diesel. Surely this will go full circle and Diesels will be flavour of the 5 years again when the manufacturers invest in them again? And of course the fuel prices will flip again with Diesel less expensive than petrol until lots of new diesel engines have been sold, or am I being cynical.

Cynicism is wisdom based on the reality of experience! ;)

I love the torque of my diesel.

N

^^^^ with you all the way ^^^^ it's a cyclic thing driven by market forces and legislation

Turbocharging is gradually becoming the thing with petrol engines and it works.

I too love the midrange slam that a good common rail diesel offers.

My 528i feels lifeless in comparison.

most interesting new diesel i have seen was a 3cylinder with 6 pistons,opposed pistons,not to be confused with opposed cylinders, AKA, Porsche flat six.

2 stroke turbod, twin crankshafts, one output shaft, something to think about ,with just a 70mm stroke on each piston equals to the torque of 140mm stroke, yet maintains a low piston speed, and low recip weight. things can be made lighter.

R&D is being done partly UK,part USA, but has stalled for lack of interest(and MONEY).

it is an old german design(imagine that?) and Brits picked up on the engineering quickly(imagine that)!

i believe it is the best idea for a modern piston engine ever, just needs development,and money.

This one is primarily aimed at Mr Paul Anderson....

I know you bang on about Common rail diesels are superior to old school Bosch VE's and P Pumps, but the problem is that there isn't a big enough audiance for the aftermarket for people to develop proper go faster parts like larger fuel injectors or independent engine management systems, all the top pulling tractors and diesel dragsters still use the old school P pump due to the fact there is soo much more power can be gain using them,

But the fact remains that you are right..... these guys could make more power using a common rail system but the cost far out ways the benefits of development. Hell I looked at putting a 2.2hdi in my 205 which has been done before in various ways but I did look into an aftermarket engine management of sort and found a company that transplants 2.7 hdi's/TDv6's from new landrovers into old land rovers and they were also making a system for the newer 3.0 TDV6 I asked them if there system would work on a 2.2 hdi and they said sure.... if you had a spare £4000!! compare that to the £500-£1000 if would cost you to outfit something like that on a petrol engine, it just doesn't make sence....
VE pumps are cheap and plentyful if you know what you are looking at same goes for P pumps,
as said before yes, it is way better but until there is an proper solution for a diy mappable CR ecu for us grease monkeys that have a thing for diesels, then I will be sticking to my injector pumps....

^^^^ He's not wrong ^^^^

I still like CR dervs though. Basically cos I'm a hands off kind of driver, don't want to get all mucky opening the bonnet to mod stuff. Remapping is a one stop shop