Any alfa 156 owners out there?

Oooh nice. I bet hes well pleased with it. Does that mean he doesnt want to drive your car as much now!

IVE GOT A 156 2.4JTD BUT THE CLUTCH HAS JUST GONE AND I AINT GOTTA CLUE HOW MUCH IT IS GOING TO COST ME, SO IVE ORDERED A NEW ASTRA. ANYONE GOT ANY IDEAS HOW MUCH ITS GOING TO COST ME FOR THIS CLUTCH AND FITTING, ITS A 2001 MODEL, REALLY DONT WANT TO SCRAP IT, ITS SUCH A LOVELY CAR, OR SOMEONE CAN MAKE ME AN OFFER AND GET IT SORTED OUT, ILL TAKE A GRAND

YOURS IN WAITING!!!

hi everyone
i have just bought an alfa romeo 156 2.5 v6
she is a lovely car and really pleased with her but unfortunately she has been in a garage for repairs more than she has been sitting outside my house
i am hoping i have got most of the problems sorted out now but she will still have to go in again soon
i am wanting to do her up with tuning, decals etc.
if anyone knows of places to have these jobs done that are reasonable then please let me know
hope to hear from someone soon
bye for now

Hi Teenytinytrears and welcome to TorqueCars. Where are you based?

The alfas can be expensive to run but if treated right they should be fairly reliable. Sounds like you have had a real pain with yours. What is the mileage like on it?

hi waynne
i am based in norfolk
yes i have been unlucky with my car so far and have spent £1000 on her already including labour and she is going in again tomorrow
had new cambelt and tensioner fitted but car was still making a funny noise. then decided to take into alfa's at bury. they said a new tensioner had not been fitted and that was what they thought was making the noise. taking back to other garage tomorrow for them to have another look at as they are saying they done the work. getting very expensive. hopefully they can sort it out this time.
teeny

Hi,

I am running a 156 JTS, had it for a few years now and getting a bit bored. Does anyone know of any good mods apart from the usual exhaust and filter but not as far as remapping the ECU?

Also has anyone ever heard of a 2.0 JTS with a turbo conversion? is it difficult to do?

Cheers

remapping the ecu isnt bad if thats what your thinking, at most your looking at around 10bhp from the 2ltr unit.
if you do go down the turbo route, will come onto in a miniute, you will possible need a custom ECU rather than a remapped one anyway to take into account all the extra varibles.

have you looked a getting the cam profile changed to a slightly higher lift duration one, this may require a remap to get the best from.

ok onto the turbo - not heard of this done, but yes most turbo conversions are difficult to do and not something you could do yourself. basically you will need to custom make the intake to the turbom, pipe work from the turbo to intercooler then onto the inlet manifold. this will proberly require a bigger MAF (if fitted). most likely larger injectors will be required as well
custom build exhaust manifold to the turbo and from the turbo, ang wth a larger exhaust to get rid of the gases themselves.

the internals of the engine themselves may need strenghtining as well as maybe lower the compression to a more sutible amount ( look around 8.5 -9:1) there are different ways of doing this.

then the fun of mapping the whole thing together.

another option you may want to consider is supercharging, this does away with all the exhaust plumbing at least and is possible to connect up without changing much else other than binning the A/C compressor.

do a search for threads started by claymore one called the marex volumes i think.
he supercharged his engine using a eaton supercharger from a mini cooper s. it was still running on a standard maf and map with around 20bhp gain

Thanks for that, I have a 3" straight through exhaust on the car the now so getting rid of the exhaust aint a problem. The AC unit is also gubbed so the supercharger is looking like the way forward.
I have pondered with the idea of transplanting the 3.2 GT engine in to it but there is a lot of underlying isues there too.
Then with all the power you have the issue that the car is front wheel drive, torque steer.

alex

yup fwd is great isnt it.
traction issues can be helped by LSD and sticky rubber athough it wont get rid of it.
the supercharging running low boost (sorry should have mentioned above that it required lower boost otherwise youd need to lower he compression) wont give to big a gain, look for around 30 bhp

With water injection you can run higher boost levels. I think supercharging is your best way forward. If I can find any details of companies offering this I'll post it up for you.

I purchased a 2 year old 2.5 v6 156 s3 which was only 2 years old for £6k a few years back.
Talk about massive depreciation, I kept it for a year and lost money myself, it was so hard to sell .I bought an SEC 500 afterwards, drove that for 8 months, made enough money on that to cover all the petrol, tax and insurance i'd spent on it. Free driving in for me one of the best looking cars ever........which was nice

Hi there,

This is my first post here...
I have a 156 v6 yr 2000, it's an excellent car and pretty quick having come from a 300bhp celica gt4. I fitted a full stainless exhaust when the back box produced a hole and the only other thing i've done is 2 tyres and front pads apart from that it's been faultless in the 18months i've owned it.

Hi there and a warm welcome to TorqueCars. I was actually looking at a 156 v6 when I was looking around for cars. The engines sound so good and the handling is brilliant. Sadly I could only find neglected examples with patchy service history and starship mileages so I moved on.

It sounds like you have a good one though. Glad you are enjoying it. You'll have to post us up some pics when you get to 10 posts.

All right, I had one of the v6's (s3)when they were new, first owner lost something like £18k in depreciation in under 2 years, all the better for me, I found the car got through disc's for a past time, Good car but demanding, allways had a stiff kneck after a long journey through concentrating so much, sneeze and you'd be doing 100 on the wrong side of the road.

Got a 156 2.0 TSpark and had it since new. August 1998 and with over 153000 miles on the clock!! Had the engine rebuilt at around 83K due to a cambelt failure and then the big-ends went (due to compression when the pistons and valves met!).

Since then it's just run and run. Uses no oil (changed regularly, always used Selenia 20K), and maintain it myself .. although I did get a local guy to swap out the gearbox when it got stuck in 2nd! (internal selector arm snapped). New clutch, etc and a 2nd hand box with around 83K on it ...

last two runs of around 350 and 300 miles returned 37 and 35 MPG!!

So this one will run till she drops .....