Any 164 owners out there?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Hi Guys - introduce yourself - tell us what mods you've done and if any mods are not worth doing to the 164's.

Very old topic, but I just joined and naturally looked for fellow 164 owners. I own a 1993 assembled but 2001 registered 164 3.0L 24v automatic. I live in Bangkok, Thailand and have had the car for nearly 4 years (I am the 2nd owner). It has only done 85,000 km (yep the mileage is shown in km even though it is a righthooker).

I have not modified the car as it is really not the best car to make into a race/track special (especially being an automatic). I actually joine this forum to learn more about possibly converting my Pug 406 2.0L 16V into one.

Nice to meet you PugBKK. I'm sure we have a few other 164 owners out there. That is a pretty good mileage I bet the car is in as new condition then. Have you had any problems with it?

Nice to meet you PugBKK.
Same here, Wayne.
That is a pretty good mileage I bet the car is in as new condition then.
It is, really. The first owner had even left the delivery plastic film on the carpets...And it stills smells new (ok, maybe it's just the leather)
Have you had any problems with it?
Well, it's an Alfa..:blink1: so, it has had its moments. I had the car only for about 4 months when the infamous cambelt (which had been changed recently) decided to jump a few cogs. Turned out they had not changed the waterpump (advisable) which had started to leak on the tensioner. This caused it eventually to "detension" and to cut a long story short, I had to start looking for a new engine. I found it in Germany and this engine has now only 30,000 km under its (cam)belt. Hmm, reminds me, better have this checked again soon.

Other than that, I changed the gasoline pressure regulator, motor mounting rubbers, suspension A-arms and I had some on and off niggles with the auto gearbox ECU (an otherwise strong ZF unit) but this was due to unexpected downpour which caused me to go through 40 cm flood water and some electrical damage on the gearbox control unit. But I must say the past year has been faultfree.

Still love it despite all its faults and the Pininfarina lines never fail to amaze me. The 166 is not an ugly car, but then again, how could one top a 164:love:

allways wanted one but whenever I have got near to buying one it dawns on me that they are not an every day driver car. ever owner I have ever met boasts of the £20k's worth of reciepts. But to me the 164 is just a stunning car. When i return to the UK a 105 series coupe is at the top of my shopping list, and I can't wait believe me.Yeah sure it won't be an everyday driver hence the quest for a good cheap all rounder (Primera Gt)

Hi Aston, you're right and wrong; it depends on the engine. The 2.0L has no cam belt but a chain and is virtually indestructable. On the Dutch 164 forum (yes, there is one solely dedicated to this particular Alfa model) there are several members who drive them for upto 500,000 km. The 3.0L 24V is the most satisfying to drive (bar mishaps..and you should be able to stomach the much higher fuel bills compared with the 2 liter).

they may well drive them up to 500000 km's but I doubt this is without hassle. as for tuning there are a couple here in the UK bored out to much more than 3l (But I forget what.
I think there is a twin engined 164 here as well/ Google it

No, really, mechanically, the 2.0L is more or less bombproof and relatively easy to work on. Of course, by now these cars are mostly 15 years old and there will be niggles, but nothing compared with the 3.0L where you have to meticulously follow the 60.000 KM or 3 yrs time intervals for the timing belt, tensioner, etc to make sure you won;t have any problems.

The 3.0L has a few other odd and expensive repairs; if the carterpan is bust (and that can happen because it's fairly low) the engine has to come out in order to exchange it. The engine mounting rubbers last long, but when they have to be exchanged (all 3 of them) it is again an engine out-job.

But when all is done properly the costs are not over the top and of course the engine sound and the way the cars "hangs on the gas" is phenomenal. Even with my auto gears it's telepathic and if you put the box in "sport" mode it goes and sounds like a 4-door Ferrari. Well, maybe not quite, but you get the picture and finally, they're both penned by Pininfarina and that never bores. Having said that the Bertone GTVs are also timeless beauties and definitely more common as classic car than the 164. And rear wheel drive, although that is not so much of a problem if you use it for normal driving and not as a track car.

I know of the twin-engined 164 and you probably also know the 164-bodied Formula 1 car, the Procar?
20070806_ar164procar.jpg