Anti-lag systems - recommendations?

T9 man

TC ModFather
Car
Saab 9-3SS T9
Now don't get me wrong, the old girl is blisteringly quick but as always for me it is a case of onwards and upwards! ;) Anti-lag systems to reduce turbo lag, any idea what I should be looking for? The system, if a suitable one is available,
I fully intend to have it fitted by the pro's anyway so complexity will not be an issue here! ;)

Be careful with anti lag as i'm almost sure it reduces the turbo's life if used all the time.
Although saying that systems today will probably be safer than the systems i've seen personally.
Quick read for you here.

There are two different types of " lag"

Off the line and as you change gear.

Most anti lag systems are not good on the turbos.
Things can be made better without anti lag by changing the gear ratios or making the car spool up earlier , Cams can also do this to an extent
Also overboring the engine has a major effect as the larger engine will spool up the same turbo much quicker.
Of course you could also go twin turbo .

Off the line is actually easier if you have the right ecu Normally cars wont boost when revved in neutral .
For example my Fcon has a plug in that acts like launch control It has a variable rev limiter that you can set . This and the ECu settings allow the boost to build .

So
car in first gear with clutch on - Foot to floor - wait for boost to build
release clutch -

shout WTFFFFFFFFFFFFF............as car launhes

Unfortunately my twin plate os gilken clutch agreed and surrendered . Triple plate carbon jobby going in tomorrow.

Reactions: Loz
Nitrous should see you right tbh, I would have thought that's what the guys would have mapped it for. Running around with anti lag all the time will kill your turbo and lambda sensors very quickly and will introduce much higher EGTs. It'll be ok for occassional use but that sort of defeats the point, no?

You would be surprised what good driving does for turbo lag!

Last edited:
Be careful with anti lag as i'm almost sure it reduces the turbo's life if used all the time.
Although saying that systems today will probably be safer than the systems i've seen personally.
Quick read for you here.

Cheers TN, might have to read this a few more times to be able too absorb and understand it a little better! ;)

Thanks Sleeper, as the engine is a fully prepared special, I did not want to be changing cams and things at this moment in time. Higher up the rev range i.e. 4k plus everything seems to happen quite quickly, problem or should I say 'improvement required' is lower down the rev range from 1500 to 4000.
Was not sure if another remap would be beneficial here or the use of an Anti-lag system.

Nitrous should see you right tbh, I would have thought that's what the guys would have mapped it for. Running around with anti lag all the time will kill your turbo and lambda sensors very quickly and will introduce much higher EGTs. It'll be ok for occassional use but that sort of defeats the point, no?

You would be surprised what good driving does for turbo lag!

I have two maps written for me on the NOS controller at the moment MA.
A track setup and a fast road use one. The fast road use is a bit savage :blink: and as for the track version, hell no! So I was thinking along the lines of an Anti-lag system. I was not aware that it could not stay on fully and all the time, mainly because of the potential damage to the turbo :embarrest: And the turbo on the beast is very expensive! So as things stand, it is looking like another slightly more aggressive remap is called for to assist the lower rev range???

I've heard of drag racers using NOS to make up for lag, seeing as you already have NOS, maybe the system can be modified to suit?

That too is an option Loz! I figured on bouncing my thoughts around you knowledgeable guru types first before committing myself to a dedicated plan.

Many high power low capacity cars suffer such lag due to he size of the turbo needed to produce the power, and sometimes the lowering of the compression ratio to suit. It's a compromise of sorts. I think you might be better off just changing down a gear or two if you need to get lairy :D Oh, isn't it an auto?

After driving a couple of GT25R'd Punto's with a powerband of about 2000rpm, it's hard to see anthing as laggy these days lol.

With a turbo the size of the one you've fitted you have to expect some lag/latency. Your car is running close to 600bhp if I'm right, not at all bad for a 2 litre four cylinder unit. There are compromises to be made.

Many high power low capacity cars suffer such lag due to he size of the turbo needed to produce the power, and sometimes the lowering of the compression ratio to suit. It's a compromise of sorts. I think you might be better off just changing down a gear or two if you need to get lairy :D Oh, isn't it an auto? .

Cheers MA, it is an auto with the tiptronic selector on the steering wheel.
The gearbox has been replaced with a 2008 version to replace the 2003 original with a bigger torque converter fitted.

With a turbo the size of the one you've fitted you have to expect some lag/latency. Your car is running close to 600bhp if I'm right, not at all bad for a 2 litre four cylinder unit. There are compromises to be made.

Well when you put it like that HDi, I can see the wisdom in your words! I will ask about another remap to see if it can be tweaked and shelve the idea about the Anti-lag system. ;)

You did mention a while back a two turbo sequential system. This would work very well.

The Saab has this system on the TTiD cars, but I was told that for me to utilise it on my car that my air con would have to go :sad2: The TTiD cars come with aircon as standard so I assume it is just down to a different engine layout where both can be accommodated.