Another question about spraying

davalav

Pro Tuner
Car
Mini Cooper S R56
Right,

Hopefully I'll be getting all the equipment I need to do a complete respray on my car.

I need a little advice though....

Spray guns, I have found a set of gravity guns. This kit contains:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221137104518

Any good? I don't want to have a fortune spent, I know you can get a good finish if you try hard enough! :)

Compressor...

Seen a few on the Egay, ranging from 300psi 1ltr compressors to 120psi 15 ltr compressors.

For spraying metallic paint, do I want something that spits it out really quick at a high pressure, or last longer and can get more covered?

Also, I live opposite a body repair and spray shop. I should get all the paint I need and laquer, clear coat etc... BUT would it be best to get it mixed from a local DIY shop?

Cheers guys.

David.

Blimey you are serious about all that spraying then :blink:

I really do wish you the very best of luck with this Dave, if the finished job matches your enthusiasm then it will be an absolute marvel :D

Last edited:
Right,

Hopefully I'll be getting all the equipment I need to do a complete respray on my car.

I need a little advice though....

Spray guns, I have found a set of gravity guns. This kit contains:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221137104518

Any good? I don't want to have a fortune spent, I know you can get a good finish if you try hard enough! :)

Compressor...

Seen a few on the Egay, ranging from 300psi 1ltr compressors to 120psi 15 ltr compressors.

For spraying metallic paint, do I want something that spits it out really quick at a high pressure, or last longer and can get more covered?

Also, I live opposite a body repair and spray shop. I should get all the paint I need and laquer, clear coat etc... BUT would it be best to get it mixed from a local DIY shop?

Cheers guys.

David.

Spend as much as you can on the gun -and a used top make is way better than a chinese/ebay one in a pretty case

compressors are compressors . You want one that can easily supply the pressure you need ( depends on gun and paint ) . just make sure it has a large enough tank for your needs - You cant have too big a compressor.
Again used are a good buy.

As far as paint why take paint to a DIY shop ? Just order the right colour and decent thinners

If you are spraying metallics then you need a decent gun for the laquer ( if you want a decent finish)

Spend as much as you can on the gun -and a used top make is way better than a chinese/ebay one in a pretty case

compressors are compressors . You want one that can easily supply the pressure you need ( depends on gun and paint ) . just make sure it has a large enough tank for your needs - You cant have too big a compressor.
Again used are a good buy.

As far as paint why take paint to a DIY shop ? Just order the right colour and decent thinners

If you are spraying metallics then you need a decent gun for the laquer ( if you want a decent finish)

Cheers Sleeper!

I've been doing a little reading, and as I am not changing the colour or anything, do I still need a primer? I plan on filling with body filler any marks and imperfections.

Blimey you are serious about all that spraying then :blink:

I really do wish you the very best of luck with this Dave, if the finished job matches your enthusiasm then it will be an absolute marvel :D

Thanks mate!! I am very serious... Once I have an idea in my head, I'll do it! :)

It will take a little while to gather all the equipment as I have a few things to pay for and get out of the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
20 years ago I used Devillbiss which used to be the nuts but nowadays there are many good makes .

Devilbiss do so many different guns .The pro range even has different guns for top laquer and basecoat but dont think you , or I need worry about that range though :D
Even their budget ones will be better than chinese/ebay/etc -

As you said yourself - preparation is key so yes use a primer - you need to rub down the bodywork and way and the primer makes it easier to do.

20 years ago I used Devillbiss which used to be the nuts but nowadays there are many good makes .

Devilbiss do so many different guns .The pro range even has different guns for top laquer and basecoat but dont think you , or I need worry about that range though :D
Even their budget ones will be better than chinese/ebay/etc -

As you said yourself - preparation is key so yes use a primer - you need to rub down the bodywork and way and the primer makes it easier to do.

I have a few dents and stuff, but body filler will be okay for that, only minor dings. Is it best to the do the whole car? It may sound stupid, but maybe do a side at a time, like primer then paint, then work on another side. When body filling, do I primer the entire thing or just the parts that I have filled in? Or coat the intire car in primer and respray as per.

Devilsbliss seem to be good, and there guns are universally suited for many applications. So I may only need one gun!

Correct me on the process:

Sand down panels, repair any dents using body filler, wait to dry, prime the panels, and spray coats over 15 minute intervals, then leave to dry for 24 hours? Prep the gun for paint, what nozzle would be best? 0.8mm should be okay for paint, or smaller? then paint.

How many coats should the paint have? Whats the main difference between the basecoat and topcoat? Are they different products? Or they the same thing but more of, so to speak.

Last edited:
I think aycrilic paint will be easier to work with. The body shop next door should be able to sell everything I need? Or is there anywhere thats recommened?

-Sorry you cant get a how to paint lesson in 3 or 4 posts.

If you are serious get a book out the library

-Sorry you cant get a how to paint lesson in 3 or 4 posts.

If you are serious get a book out the library

I wasn't after how to paint, I can do that, otherwise I wouldnt ever attempt this. Thought I'd get hints and tips from people who have actually done it, many times before and can give an accurate insight into how it 'should be', so to speak, I asked about the process as everything I have read or watched has explained it or showed it completely differently. But for books, I've checked amazon, but havent really chosen one yet.

Last edited: