another engine noise, any ideas?

paulmars

Car
avalon 2007
I just started hearing this high pitched tinkle sound the other day. It only starts after engine heats up. I never heard it before, so it's a new noise. Cant hear it with high revs, but it might just be drowned out by louder engine.

First occurred after first startup and warm up of engine after about 1.5 to 2 months not run at all while i swapped out the three rear coils. I dont think it's anything that I did, but I know it was not making this noise previously.

Ideas?

190k miles, 2gr fe toyota engine, I have no idea of the maintenance history but suspect it's been kinda neglected. Within the last 6 months ive done most all the scheduled maintenance items and a few more, like replace trany oil (twice).

Listen to noise here. This site always gets speaker to off, so you need to click the speaker symbol in upper right of uploaded file.

tks,
p

someone said maybe its the belt, which I changed a few hundred miles ago. they say spray wator on belt and if it stops noise, then its the belt.

Wtr on belt stops in for about a minute. Unplugging alt stops it. Turning steering completely left or right stops it.

Sound to me like a bearing in a pulley somewhere. As they get warm they will go quiet. They are a pig to track down though.

It never made noise when engine cold. Only after 10 or so minutes. Lately though it sometimes starts sooner or even right away. Noise also never stopped once started, lately though it sometimes stops after driving car for a bit. Noise then sometimes returns after idling for a while.

My guess is the belt tensioner is either too weak or has not been set correctly, it take quite a bit of strength to stretch this pully and belt before locking it in place.

Maybe. Spring feels tight and consistent, but not enough room to attach torque wrench to measure it.

I would test by pressing the belt at the widest point, there should be very little movement, and the belt needs to be incredibly tight - at the point of stretching but not quite.

It never made noise when engine cold. Only after 10 or so minutes. Lately though it sometimes starts sooner or even right away. Noise also never stopped once started, lately though it sometimes stops after driving car for a bit. Noise then sometimes returns after idling for a while.
Same here.

Belt replaced w\oem a few months before I started this thread. Cant measure the tension pressure, but it feels tight and consistent for the full travel of the tensioner.