Am I getting to be a grumpy old man ?

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
I have a few pet hates like

1 People who look to be rooting around looking for something in I guess a handbag (mainly females) and miss when the light turns green

2 Motorists who take off slower than an oldie on a walking frame who appear to have any thought that others behind them may have planes to catch,meetings to attend Doctors appointments etc.

3 Timid or indecisive drivers who need at least 1/4 of a mile gap in oncoming traffic to turn right.FYI i have a family friend that qualifies.

4 Females who absent mindlessly twirl their hair while mobile or stationary The car is in D but the mind is in Dream.

5 people who drive well below posted limits with clear road ahead.

6 people who seem afraid to get up to highway speeds on the on ramp to blend in seamlessly with the traffic flow and when they finally merge accelerate slower than a mobility scooter.

Forgot this very annoying one.

7 people in the left lane behind anything on wheels BUT usually a bus or truck/lorry and pull out like they intend to overtake but don't and block anybody else from doing so. .V( :mad:

It comes with age, so don't worry we're all getting there. Don't forget that you were once young and probably did most of these things (especially twirling your hair! :lol: )

Obi I still have a good head of hair that has #3 comb cut nowadays but in my younger days when I was called "a temporary Australian" because I rode a Trumpy Tiger that was raced before I got it and converted it back to a road bike I had an Elvis hair do complete with a ducktail :)

1 People who look to be rooting around looking for something in I guess a handbag (mainly females) and miss when the light turns green

2 Motorists who take off slower than an oldie on a walking frame who appear to have any thought that others behind them may have planes to catch,meetings to attend Doctors appointments etc.

3 Timid or indecisive drivers who need at least 1/4 of a mile gap in oncoming traffic to turn right.FYI i have a family friend that qualifies.

4 Females who absent mindlessly twirl their hair while mobile or stationary The car is in D but the mind is in Dream.

6 people who seem afraid to get up to highway speeds on the on ramp to blend in seamlessly with the traffic flow and when they finally merge accelerate slower than a mobility scooter.
You are not grumpy. I feel you

OMG, I was sure I was alone, but no. I have a fellow who thinks and feels just like me, huzzah, I'm not alone in the universe of Kellogs Cornflake driving licence drivers.

How could I have forgotten to mention the motorists that drive 10 kph below the limit on a single lane and then speed up when the road widens up to include an overtaking lane so one has to break the law to pass them as you know they will slow down again when it goes back to a single lane each direction .V(

So what are the signs of getting old? lol.
Psychologists have proven that people have different mental age and physical age.
When your passion and interest start to wane and all you want to do really is sit by the fire watch the flames and sip fine whisky..... And you can think of nothing more important or more urgent.....

Fabs @ 82 years young my body is starting to age but am fighting this by going to the gym 3 times a week to keep spry as we live on 2 acres of lawn with over 100 meters of hedge that grows overnight when it rains and needs trimming every fortnight in the summer and monthly in winter.

BUT I <B driving and entering track days and closed road sprints in my 2011 FN2 Honda Civic Type R that has a wonderful 2 litre Vtec motor that sings all the way to it's 8200 redline while I row it along thru it's 6 speed gearbox.

I fully intend to keep doing that as long as I can get into and out of the great body hugging Reccaro type seats because once settled in and helmet & gloves on age simply disappears and want to equal or better my previous best lap times.

FYI Doc Martin was taken on a hot lap of Phillip Island race track by an 83 year old driver in a Mini in "the islands of Australia TV show.

1. I can go along with your first comment
2. I'm an oldie but cannot accept your reasoning. If you have a plane to catch or a meeting to attend or a doctors appointment you should have ensured you had enough time to do that. Otherwise you are stipulating your rules by which others have to live by - I don't think so.
3. They may need more of a gap than you do but that doesn't mean that you are right. Perhaps your actions are dangerous whilst theirs are reasonable.
4. So they do so what.
5. Whats wrong with driving at a slower speed.
6. If you're lucky the time may come when you do the same. You may mature (or maybe not) and realise that you're not the only driver on the roads.

Hullo DJB and thanks for your reply / input
So let me say from the start I don't expect everybody to agree with my points of view and welcome opposing views so I/ we all can learn from them and appreciate opposing thoughts, views or opinions |B

so my thinking /replies to the points upon which we seem to disagree are as follows.

#2 I always allow sufficient time PLUS extra for unexpected traffic conditions BUT timid & indecisive drivers IMO are the prime cause of road rage and at times can lead to others making rash passing or overtaking maneuvers that can at times end up badly .

# 3 ref to #

#4 Absentmindedly twirling their hair indicates to me that their mind is anywhere than on the job of driving and ready to move off briskly when the light changes and not hold up all motorists behind them.
IMO driving safely requires as close to 100% concentration on driving in a safe law abiding manner100% of the time one behind the wheel. FYI motor vehicles have killed and injured way more than all of the world wars.

#5 re driving well below posted limits IMO you are fully entitled to do so PROVIDED that you are not impeding others by being a mobile road block. Over here it is an offense to do exactly that and I have been trapped in a conga line of cars behind a motorist slowly and seen a motorcycle cop direct the driver to pull over to let others past.

#6 Nervous and indecisive drivers are a potential traffic hazard . Over the years on many occasions I have had the driver in front take off to merge and then suddenly stop as well as had a driver in front approach an empty roundabout on many occasions over the years and brake to a stop. OR wait until it is empty before entering it instead of merging seamlessly as that is what they are designed for.

I think that I am mature @ 82 and drive most days of the week in heavy peak hour traffic as well on the highway and this year will be towing my car to a 2 day event that will be app 8 hour trip each way equal to London to Edinburgh in your country .

I like to think that I am quite a bit younger between my ears.

I see driving as a skill that needs working on daily BUT sadly so many seem to regard it as a chore and have never had any desire or motivation to seek additional training or instruction since being let loose on the roads.

I look forward to discussing whatever comes to mind with you Cheers

FYI I post things on various subjects sometimes to get people thinking about their actions behind the wheel and to hopefully get them thinking about their level of skill or lack thereof and just maybe want to become better drivers.

So let me say from the start I don't expect everybody to agree with my points of view and welcome opposing views so I/ we all can learn from them and appreciate opposing thoughts, views or opinions |B

so my thinking /replies to the points upon which we seem to disagree are as follows.

#2 I always allow sufficient time PLUS extra for unexpected traffic conditions BUT timid & indecisive drivers IMO are the prime cause of road rage and at times can lead to others making rash passing or overtaking maneuvers that can at times end up badly .

# 3 ref to #

#4 Absentmindedly twirling their hair indicates to me that their mind is anywhere than on the job of driving and ready to move off briskly when the light changes and not hold up all motorists behind them.
IMO driving safely requires as close to 100% concentration on driving in a safe law abiding manner100% of the time one behind the wheel. FYI motor vehicles have killed and injured way more than all of the world wars.

#5 re driving well below posted limits IMO you are fully entitled to do so PROVIDED that you are not impeding others by being a mobile road block. Over here it is an offense to do exactly that and I have been trapped in a conga line of cars behind a motorist slowly and seen a motorcycle cop direct the driver to pull over to let others past.

#6 Nervous and indecisive drivers are a potential traffic hazard . Over the years on many occasions I have had the driver in front take off to merge and then suddenly stop as well as had a driver in front approach an empty roundabout on many occasions over the years and brake to a stop. OR wait until it is empty before entering it instead of merging seamlessly as that is what they are designed for.

I think that I am mature @ 82 and drive most days of the week in heavy peak hour traffic as well on the highway and this year will be towing my car to a 2 day event that will be app 8 hour trip each way equal to London to Edinburgh in your country .

I see driving as a skill that needs working on daily BUT sadly so many seem to regard it as a chore and have never had any desire or motivation to seek additional training or instruction since being let loose on the roads.

FYI I post things on various subjects sometimes to get people thinking about their actions behind the wheel and to hopefully get them thinking about their level of skill or lack thereof and just maybe want to become better drivers.
TCJ - I'm with you all the way.... Perhaps we are or were fortunate enough to have been taught to drive, and not just control a vehicle. I note through our posts we have very similar views and tastes and I wonder if it's something from our youthful days after all we are in the same generational bracket, I'm 63.... Almost. I love driving, it brings immense pleasure, and I enjoy teaching myself to be a better driver, every trip. I monitor myself, and pick out my own bad habits... It is how I was taught. I also feel, some people should never be allowed to be in charge of a powered vehicle. My wife for example : we spent a fortune having the best instructor teach her , but after a year, it became obvious she just couldn't drive safely, sure we could have pushed her through a test... That wasn't the problem, her problem was her brain farts. Sometimes, and all of a sudden, for no apparent reason it would be like she had never been behind the wheel of a vehicle before... You could be doing 60 mph and all of a sudden she'd just fall apart, not even getting the car around the most obvious corner that she'd be looking at for the last minute or so.... After two very close calls we mutually decide it was not going to happen...... Some are not cut out for the job. It requires skills some cannot propogate.

I'm with you 100%

7 people in the left lane behind anything on wheels BUT usually a bus or truck/lorry and pull out like they intend to overtake but don't and block anybody else from doing so. .V( :mad:
You have offered the reader another morsel of pet annoyance which if read on its own could have a semblance of reasonability but having included this in your list of gripes I find it difficult to accept it at face value. Perhaps the local authorities should be warned of your presence when you use the road network so that every one else can park by the wayside until you have passed by. It is a sad day when other drivers hamper your progress !!!

# 3 ref to #

Taking on board your comments above there may be some hope for you if item 1 is an overarching philosophy by which you abide by but your following and previous comments may just undermine this.
Notably being 82 years of age doesn't necessarily mean that you are mature, it just means that you are older than your younger counterparts. Being mature or reaching a state of maturity would be more becoming to a person who has reached a state of knowledge and understanding of others and also facilitated this. Because you have or can drive longer distances than others doesn't make you a better driver. All it means is that you have or possibly can drive for longer than others - so what ! What does this prove ?

You'd like to think that you are a bit younger between the years. Having read your thoughts on the subject I believe that this is an ambitious concept promoted mostly if not entirely by yourself. One thing you seemed to be short of is an understanding of other road users which could be a distinct feature of your character particularly if this is carried through into other aspects of your life.

Here in't UK, its usually people in't cars coming up behind a push cyclist or parked car. They have been coming up on it for a while now and it's position and speed is a constant, however as they get to withing 10 meters of it, they stand on the brakes as if its jumped out in't road and scared the living be jeezuz out of them, coming to a near standstill some 3 meters from them, they begin to assess the situation presented. Now they decide to indicate, and because they are so close they need to turn almost to full lock to manoeuvre around them, doing the wheel shuffle at the same time, and having to use the other side of the blooming road to swerve around.....stupid drongos...I can never fathom it. Its not rocket science, is it?

You have offered the reader another morsel of pet annoyance which if read on its own could have a semblance of reasonability but having included this in your list of gripes I find it difficult to accept it at face value. Perhaps the local authorities should be warned of your presence when you use the road network so that every one else can park by the wayside until you have passed by. It is a sad day when other drivers hamper your progress !!!

Re your last paragraph quote " hampering your progress!!!"

You appear to deliberately misunderstand the scenario OR playing the Devils Advocate in an attempt to turn up the heat so to make the scenario crystal clear to you here is my reply .

There is bus, lorry or other slow moving vehicle in the left lane with nothing in front hindering it is progress and I or any other vehicle moving @ or below the posted limit in the other lane are coming closer intending to overtake in the other / right lane when the vehicle immediately behind the slow moving vehicle pulls out into the other clear lane ( usually failing to indicate their intentions) and appearing to be intending overtake the slow vehicle BUT fails to do so and matches the speed of slow vehicle BEHIND it all the way up a hill thereby blocking the CLEAR other lane preventing others from being able to legaly overtake at or below the posted limit.

FYI I have a clean traffic history for more that 50 years and close to a million miles and would drive past at least 1 hidden mobile or fixed speed camera almost on a daily basis.

I DO NOT speed up when I see a higher speed sign say 100 + yards ahead and have already slowed down to a lower speed limit by the time I pass any lower limit sign.

Can you in all honesty say you do the same????

PS I nearly fell off my chair :rofl: @ the bit about warning the authorities bit.

Last edited:
Taking on board your comments above there may be some hope for you if item 1 is an overarching philosophy by which you abide by but your following and previous comments may just undermine this.
Notably being 82 years of age doesn't necessarily mean that you are mature, it just means that you are older than your younger counterparts. Being mature or reaching a state of maturity would be more becoming to a person who has reached a state of knowledge and understanding of others and also facilitated this. Because you have or can drive longer distances than others doesn't make you a better driver. All it means is that you have or possibly can drive for longer than others - so what ! What does this prove ?

You'd like to think that you are a bit younger between the years. Having read your thoughts on the subject I believe that this is an ambitious concept promoted mostly if not entirely by yourself. One thing you seemed to be short of is an understanding of other road users which could be a distinct feature of your character particularly if this is carried through into other aspects of your life.

I tend to think right or wrongly that I am a competent and confident driver by driving daily,keeping fit and being up to date with and abiding by the current road rules (When did you last read or test yourself on them ? ) and that just may be possibly more situation ally aware when on the roads than many of the same vintage that may only drive to the shops or church due in part to the fact that I drive regularly in different traffic and road conditions.

Are you suggesting that I should act more like you seem to think "old people" should and sit by the fire thinking about things they wish they had done sipping a hot toddy and degenerate faster and what is so wrong about believing in ones self and being confident ,aware of all that is happening around me and relaxed behind the wheel be it on a highway ,back road or suburban heavy peak hour traffic ?

Here in't UK, its usually people in't cars coming up behind a push cyclist or parked car. They have been coming up on it for a while now and it's position and speed is a constant, however as they get to withing 10 meters of it, they stand on the brakes as if its jumped out in't road and scared the living be jeezuz out of them, coming to a near standstill some 3 meters from them, they begin to assess the situation presented. Now they decide to indicate, and because they are so close they need to turn almost to full lock to manoeuvre around them, doing the wheel shuffle at the same time, and having to use the other side of the blooming road to swerve around.....stupid drongos...I can never fathom it. Its not rocket science, is it?

Fabs the picture you paint suggests to me that motorists who do as you outlined are simply not reading the traffic flow or only looking ahead no more than say 2 car lengths.

Fabs the picture you paint suggests to me that motorists who do as you outlined are simply not reading the traffic flow or only looking ahead no more than say 2 car lengths.
That's about it, appauling standards of driving these days here.... They no longer teach you to drive, simply pass your test, your then supposed to self improve.... Which in the main, does not happen. So there are millions of terrible drivers careering about..... 1750 plus road deaths per year and over 150000 injured.... Speaks for itself really....

That's about it, appauling standards of driving these days here.... They no longer teach you to drive, simply pass your test, your then supposed to self improve.... Which in the main, does not happen. So there are millions of terrible drivers careering about..... 1750 plus road deaths per year and over 150000 injured.... Speaks for itself really....

Fabs you have nailed my point of view and the need for tougher testing that would weed out some that are unfit to be in charge of anything mechanical.

All that the powers that be appear to do in an attempt to reduce the road toll is to increase penalties.

Doing the same thing over and over again expecting to get a different result is the definition of insanity.

IMO it would be a very rare politician or bureaucrat that would even think about advocating for a way tougher test to be implemented due to most of the public seeming to think that a license is a right and not a privilege.

Over here in my daily travels observing all types of drivers including newly minted red P plate drivers running red and amber lights and tailgating I could be forgiven for concluding that manner of driving must be part of the test.

Fabs you have nailed my point of view and the need for tougher testing that would weed out some that are unfit to be in charge of anything mechanical.

All that the powers that be appear to do in an attempt to reduce the road toll is to increase penalties.

Doing the same thing over and over again expecting to get a different result is the definition of insanity.

IMO it would be a very rare politician or bureaucrat that would even think about advocating for a way tougher test to be implemented due to most of the public seeming to think that a license is a right and not a privilege.

Over here in my daily travels observing all types of drivers including newly minted red P plate drivers running red and amber lights and tailgating I could be forgiven for concluding that manner of driving must be part of the test.
For sure, I agree totally, I past my test in SA when I turned 16, and sure I was a bit of a hoon, but for the driving, real driving, I was taught by my father, I would probably have had way more accidents.

Learning to drive in oz was a wake up, a lot of the out of town roads were still dirt, so you got used to handling a big old Ford on Cross Plys slipping and sliding all over the place, and you learned to look ahead too, damn roos and pot holes... Unexpected floodways at 60mph.... Ahhh the good old days...
So I guess it's experience like that which is invaluable to your tarmac skills, and unless you are really fortunate, few get that sort of tuition.... My first driving lesson was from Adelaide to Hawker a lot of dirt back then, unlike now, my dad was timing us as he had a business appointment up there and I drove 178 miles in 160 minutes... Crazy days... I also drove the old Nullaboor Plain road four times too Perth and back, 1860 miles door to door and we used to do it 2 days. Hard driving, but such a buzz.

Driving these days, well its not is it, crawling around town, dodging kids and bikes and shitty drivers... Jeez does ya nut in.

It's the boys in the suped up cars that get me. They scare the crap out of me. The risks some take in the name of show and pride. It's only a few months ago 5 teens were killed, mate in his new fast car, new licence and a couple of mates and their girls... Lost it on a corner and hit a tree, killing all of them... So sad.

We should have more intense testing, but also more intense skills development, especially an appreciation for speed and disaster.

Enough said really, it's a huge subject on which we could right several books....

Here's to better drivers

I tend to think right or wrongly that I am a competent and confident driver by driving daily,keeping fit and being up to date with and abiding by the current road rules (When did you last read or test yourself on them ? ) and that just may be possibly more situation ally aware when on the roads than many of the same vintage that may only drive to the shops or church due in part to the fact that I drive regularly in different traffic and road conditions.

Are you suggesting that I should act more like you seem to think "old people" should and sit by the fire thinking about things they wish they had done sipping a hot toddy and degenerate faster and what is so wrong about believing in ones self and being confident ,aware of all that is happening around me and relaxed behind the wheel be it on a highway ,back road or suburban heavy peak hour traffic ?
The first part of your first sentence " ...I am a competent and confident driver " is obviously biased and without any basis of credibility ie just self belief. Turning to your next point ...When I last read or tested myself on current road rules is not part of the analysis ie You made the claims in your expose' not me, I'm only evaluating what you have stated. I do not understand your next comment "and that just may be possibly more situation ally", perhaps this is a typing error. Driving regularly in different traffic and road conditions still doesn't even necessarily make you a decent let alone a good driver. What you could have demonstrated is that you are conceited and full of self belief with little regard for other road users. I'm not suggesting that you should act more like "old people" sitting by the fire thinking about things they wish they had done sipping a hot toddy. Thats your comment not mine. The final point you make is also contentious for instance how are you aware of all that is happening around you?
There could be other things happening around you that you are unaware of we are human after all - including you. Nevertheless however, given that you' re relaxed behind the wheel be it on a highway ,back road or suburban heavy peak hour traffic then other drivers shortcomings (as perceived by you) shouldn't be a problem because of course you are such a good driver (in your eyes) you can easily contend with such an event.

It appears that we will have to agree to disagree .

Going by your replies you can't have researched my driving history or background which includes among other things being a member and advisor of the IAM.

You free to respond if you must but i rest my case.

Cheers and have a great day.

My replies address the issues you've put forward and not your driving history or background because your background and history are not part of the criticisms you make. The performance of any individual is measured not by the personal attributes or background but by their attainment at the time in question. During my career I have personally met individuals who are theoretically well qualified to conduct themselves but in all truth they cannot be left unsupervised. Take for instance a mechanic who is highly trained academically would be of little use if he or she couldn't practically perform the work at hand. So the claim that you are an advisor to the AIM as no meaning to me. I am not going to waste my time disseminating this feature but needless to say this does not form part of your modus operandi.

At last there is something we can agree upon and that is we disagree.

Finally , given that you think so highly of your own claimed attributes, perhaps you should offer your skills to Brisbane council transport department I'm sure they would be overwhelmed and forever thankful for such an opportunity - I don't think so.

Its been a pleasure communicating with you and arguably demonstrating to you that other people have lives and may not be as fortunate as you. You claim to be 82 years old and if this is the case then it may not be long before you join the ranks of those you've been criticising. How will you feel then ?

The vast majority of drivers here cannot see a situation developing until its either to late or they are stationary, and weighing it up.... Your example.... Not being able to enter a roundabout whether its empty or not.... Filtering in does not work for a lot, so they have to wait until its all clear.... But there is no changing it, its just emdemic....