Aluminium Wheel Nuts

Not heard of them before, I assume you can only use them once?

No, they are hardened and can be used like steel nuts, although you have to be careful. Using a torque wrench rather than a windy gun or long lever is a good idea.

They remove quite a lot of unsprung weight.

The nuts on the 911 weigh close to nothing and as you say it is unsprung weight.
Not sure if they had air guns in the seventies but it best to tighten them up with a torque wrench and in some kind of sequence like a cylinder head.

Not very good for quick wheel changes though and you do need the right vehicle to be worth doing

No, they are hardened and can be used like steel nuts, although you have to be careful. Using a torque wrench rather than a windy gun or long lever is a good idea.

They remove quite a lot of unsprung weight.

You can't harden aluminium like steel.

Depending on the alloy, they can be very good and durable.

I think that the 911 thread is the same size as my nissan both metric anyway.

will check when I am down the workshop next and report. I might even weight them for a grin

Out of interest I took a couple of nuts off the 911 while in the workshop. They are std ones from a 1973 911T

They are really light . I would guess two or three weigh about the same as one wheel nuts on my 32GTR and they are light compared to some Nissan nuts.

The 911 nuts are also quite a lot bigger although that may be neccessary I dont know.