Alternator Light Coming On

britcom

Car
VW Beetle 1972
Hello,

Im new to beetles and also this site so please bare with me.

I bought a 1972 Beetle two months ago and its been working fine up until sunday. During the week i left my lights on and didnt notice until i wanted to us it on Sunday. Obviously the battery was flat, so i got a jump from a friend. He accidently mixed up the jump leads and connected his live to my negative, etc. I tried starting the car and nothing happened. He then realised his mistake and switched them over. All was fine, the car started and i went on my way.
After my journey i switched off the engine and the alternator/generator light came on and didnt go out. I then tried to start the car a couple of times and it started first time, so i guessed the alternator was charging the battery fine. But now the battery is flat again.
On researching ive discovered this light means theres a problem with the alternator diodes.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is an Alternator diode easy to replace or is it a matter of getting a new alternator? Or does anyone know of another reason why the light would be on when the engine is off?

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Thank you, John

hey and welcome to the site.

i would think it would mean a new alternator, however as its alot older the diode might be in the regulator which may be replaceable

Hello and thank you.

So would you say the problem is probably than likely with the regulator rather than the actual alternator? Ive just looked at a cross-section of the alternator and there doesnt seem to be any electrical componants in there.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back