alternator gone???

minx23

Tuner
Car
mondeo zetec s tdci
hi again folks!!!!! yes im back!! ok, my newest problem..... today i filled up my water for my washers!! then got in the car and turned it on and the battery light wouldnt go off!!! it wont let me turn on my heated windscreen coz the battery light is on!!! does this mean my alternator is bost??? if so.... how much is that likely to cost me? cheers guys!! always come here for answers and who ever has answered as always been right :D (creeping) but true :D

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome back again

the battery light normally shows an issue with the charging cycle. so it could well be a case of the alternator is fooked. but before jumping to that i would check all the earth connections and connection between the alt and battery havent came loose or corroded.

if they are fine then monitor what your battery voltage is. it should read around 14v with the engine running.

If you have a local Halfords or McGanns they can check the performance of the battery. Get it out and have it checked. I think it costs £5 to charge it.

Have you tried jump starting it?

As said above, try a volt meter on the battery. First check the battery's actual voltage, then with the engine on (charging) should be about 13-14 volts. Then try again with things such as air-con, heating, wipers, any high-demaning power device and it should read no lower then 12volts. Try increasing the revs of the engine while reading the meter on the battery, if it goes above 14volts the alternator will need replacing!

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back