Alternatives to remaps

I wouldn't personally but plenty of people report good results with tuning devices such as this. In the case of Toyota I believe the ECUs to be locked down and uneditable so there's no other option.

I'd be very wary of any bolt-on that claimed to "improve" anything to do with the injection cycle, do they have better R & D Engineering than Denso? This is an early graph and has been improved with post injection cycle. There's also the DPF cleansing cycle to consider.
Injection.png

They seem to be used a lot by people with things like HiLuxes that need to tow heavy trailers. It's annoying Toyota have locked the ECU down as the d-cat is capable of happily producing 180bhp but you can only get that in manual gearbox form.

What gladrags has posted above is good sound info. Multi-phase injection is standard in diesel engines now so a box which plays with the pulse width is going to have to differentiate the pilot phase from the primary phase. With DPF systems there are additional phases, too.

As a simpleton, my question is where does the extra air come from to burn this additional fuel?

The extra air will come from the turbo because as the demand for fuel flow increases the ECU demands extra turbo boost. But I think your question is deeper than that ie you are asking where and how does it take place in the combustion cycle given the limitations of volumetric efficiency and the natural gas flow placed by the engine design.

I don’t know how to answer that because I’m not qualified. I do understand that, typically, the exhaust of a diesel engine has more oxygen content remaining than a petrol engine but I can’t quote you specific 02 sensor settings to prove that. These engines are drive by wire so the ECU receives the power and speed demanded (along with other data from engine sensors etc) and allows the necessary fuel and air flow through the engine. So for any tuning chip device to improve things here, well I dunno.

I have a friend that has a Stienbauer on his diesel 4x4 Colorado/DMAX ( 3 litre TD motors) for over 100k KLM'S and reports zero problems. He like me uses it to tow his race car to events ad well as being his DD.

Diesel engines aren't strapped down by the 14.7:1 ratio of fuel to air. If the turbocharger can deliver enough or more then that's OK. The problem is getting enough exhaust gas through the turbo to make available air. You have to burn something to spool up the turbo.

unless diesel combustion has changed a lot.
diesel idle around 100 to 1 AFR(air fuel ratio), always have excess air available in chamber.
at full fuel output(VE dependent), AFR is around 20 to1,start serious smoke conditions!
problem is diesel still makes good torque at 20 to1, all the while black smoking!
another prob. is highest torque is at FULL pure black smoke!
great for racing ,not so good for street driving!

lets not forget torque wins the race, HP is another almost outdated formula.
there are some tweaks that can be done,tho.

I ask cos the Avensis 2.2d-cat is one of the cars on my list I quite like, but it would frustrate me daily if I couldn't get it past its stock output when I know it potentially could.

diesel idle around 100 to 1 AFR(air fuel ratio), always have excess air available in chamber.
at full fuel output(VE dependent), AFR is around 20 to1,start serious smoke conditions!
problem is diesel still makes good torque at 20 to1, all the while black smoking!

lets not forget torque wins the race, HP is another almost outdated formula.

Ah, that explains the smoke out of diesel drag cars and tractor pulling! Thanks.

There are a few PD TDi Audis & VWs around Aylesbury which seem to have been brutally modified and mapped. The stickers on the rear windows read 'No Smoke, No Poke!' Not that it really matters because you can't see through the dense black cloud.

Shameless :D

I know exactly what you mean there Paul, chap who works for me has an Audi A4 diesel thing that he has spent loads on. Pulls out on to the street and gives it the full throttle, I swear you would think it was a scene from a James Bond movie with the smoke screen from the Bond car.

I always found with petrol engines that if you run too weak a mixture you will wind up with burnt valves or pistons. How come a diesel with outrageous A/F ratio say of 100:1 can get away with it?

[QUOTE="lets not forget torque wins the race, HP is another almost outdated formula.
there are some tweaks that can be done,tho.[/QUOTE]

I thought the maxim was Horsepower determines how fast you can reach a stationary or slower moving object. Torque determines how far along the track you can push said object.

I ask cos the Avensis 2.2d-cat is one of the cars on my list I quite like, but it would frustrate me daily if I couldn't get it past its stock output when I know it potentially could.

But the T180 engine was prone to all kinds of problems including excessive oil consumption, head gasket failure, internal carbon deposits and cost Toyota millions to sort out. Maybe the lower power ones are a better bet. At any rate you'd want the 2AD-FHV engine because that one was the introduction of the piezo injectors.
AD Series Engine Table.png

I know exactly what you mean there Paul, chap who works for me has an Audi A4 diesel thing that he has spent loads on. Pulls out on to the street and gives it the full throttle, I swear you would think it was a scene from a James Bond movie with the smoke screen from the Bond car.
T9, like i noted there are some tweaks that can reduce smoke ,temporarly when on hard acceleration.
most diesels tuned properly, will not smoke at all, merrily cruising along!

I always found with petrol engines that if you run too weak a mixture you will wind up with burnt valves or pistons. How come a diesel with outrageous A/F ratio say of 100:1 can get away with it?

glad; to put it simply, petrol AFR and diesel AFR are completly opposite from each other!

[QUOTE="lets not forget torque wins the race, HP is another almost outdated formula.

I thought the maxim was Horsepower determines how fast you can reach a stationary or slower moving object. Torque determines how far along the track you can push said object.[/QUOTE].

Glad, Hp observation, torque gets you past your theoretical slower object!
in racing you want to pass an object ,NOT just catch up, all tho torque will help you catch up!

T9, like i noted there are some tweaks that can reduce smoke ,temporarly when on hard acceleration.
most diesels tuned properly, will not smoke at all, merrily cruising along!

Understood and thanks Ron, this diesel tuning is still new to me but very interesting.