Alternater query.

No other problems or anything really, it occured three times on the way to work. Each time the light would go off after the revs had dropped. I check the leads this evening after work.

Last edited:
Thats strange ain't it. Have you had any work done near or around the alternator. Could it be at high revs the vibration is causing a connection to fail?
Other than that buddy test the alternator.

No work done in that area, I'll dig the multimeter out tonight (assuming I can remember how to use it!). Two questions,

Whats the typical range I can expect to see on the meter? I assume I'm measuring Amps. (It's been a while :embarrest:)

&

Won't the the alternater show a normal charge at tickover though? I don't fancy reving the engine to 6000rpm on the drive. :lol:

Sounds like a voltage regulator to me. Either that or the car is pulling too much current. Get the battery checked as well. Is the belt slipping? I think the charge voltage is around 13V and it will need to maintain this with all electrics on so turn on lights, rear heater fans radio etc and rev it a bit to see if the drain is too much.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back