ALtering Interiors

aswearing

Torque Master
Car
Micra 160sr
heres a question aimed at hardcore DIYers that enjoy using mdf...

a while ago i used to own an old austin mini, which has to be one of the best classics available, however i could never find myself to be comfortable when inside it.

i hated the whole interior and wanted to change it, so i thought about fabricating a centre console. the main reason was to add space for accessories (DIN cages, CD storage, coin storage etc) and also to make the gear stick look shorter & apply gaiter and chrome surround.

recently ive found myself thinking about it again and i have plenty of ideas to incorporate into it.

has anyone else either considered or attempted this idea?did it work or not?

You might find it easier to ge tthe center console from another car and cut it to fit - the finish will look better than MDF unless you were planning to get is upholstered or covered. You might find a pre build wooden CD rackl is a good base to work from - just cut it about a bit and the bottom slot will be the correct size for storing CD's.

well iv had a think and drawn a few sketches and iv come up with:

electric window switch housing, tv screen, shortening of gear stick including a chrome surround, hand brake gaiter shortening, cup holders, sunglassers holder, engine start button, mini waste bin, gauges, and so many more!

if i used 10mm mdf, and covered it using the same faux leather as i would when re-covering door panels and parts of the dash etc it might look rather blinding!

i think this is mostly for practicality and comfort rather than style or enhancement. what do you think?