Alloys

StevieDB9

Road Burner
Car
Ford Focus 1.4
Hello all.

I need some help, ive been looking for ages for a set of alloys for my polo on ebay. ive finally found a set that is nearly right! theyre the size am looking for (15"), correct pcd (4x100) but the offset is 37. im sure the offset for my little polo is 35. would this make much difference to the car?

plus i was originally looking for a set of the polo gti alloys on ebay but on the rare occassion that they did appear the seller wasnt willing to post them. does anyone out there by any chance know someone whos selling polo gti alloys (year 2000)?

This is Fingers area of expertise really. I think we need the width as well he are my rough calculations.

For example:
If both are 7 inches wide the new wheel will be 2mm closer to the inside of the wheel and the strut housing and 2mm away from the arch.

Going to an 8 inch wide wheel you go to 15mm closer to the inside of the wheel and the strut housing and will extend 11mm towards the outside of the arches.

As a side note - avoid any alloys which are only guaranteed 'for show use'. They will generally rust or corrode badly if exposed to the elements and be particularly cautious of alloys that require polishing!

These should fit your car as I believe the required offset for a Polo is between 32mm and 38mm, so 37mm, so these should fit with no probs and fill the arches quite nicely.

Be careful when buying wheels that are not the correct offset for your car, it is always best to try the wheels on the car before you buy if you can. If the wheels you are looking at are a wider offset than is specified for your car. This means they will stick out more than they should and could possibly rub on the wheel arch. On the flip side if you were to fit wheels with a narrower (is that actually a word?) offset, the rims or tyres could foul the suspension or the inner wing. but with a narrower offset you could fit spacers (although I wouldn't recommend these) to compensate and make the wheels sit further out.

Here is a little diagram to explain offset and backspace. :wink:
ofsetpos.gif