Alloys upgrade

Marc07

Road Burner
Car
Audi A8 3.7 V8 40V
Guys, does any one have a ''alloys/tyres Bible'' ??? :)
which could tell me the correct/best (or MAX) sizes of offset & x.xJ for front and rear as it appears to be different for 20'' wheels on my car

At the minute I've got
tyre 255/45/18
rim 8.5J 18'' 5x112 ET45

What I want
tyre 255/35/20
rim 20'' 5x112 - That's all I'm sure so far.

What would have to be an offset/ET for the 20'' FRONT? REAR?
And rim width xJ or x.xJ FRONT? REAR?

Upgrading wheels, such a simple thing. Yes, it was, until I called few places and checked few websites, since then I'm really confused.

Some sources say for some reason that narrower rim is need on front if the rear one is 9.5J -10J ?????

If any one could give me the best setup for whole car that would be very much appreciated, and I mean it ;)

Cheers
Marc07

Ideal setup varies a lot from car to car, and different drivers have very different requirements. IMO I would not go with 20 inch alloys, they will be heavy, and prone to "Tramline". I would, on your car stick with some 19 inches at the biggest.

A wider wheel to the rear on an Audi will generally tend to push the understeering problem to lower speeds.

The vital thing always is to get the camber/toe setup correctly and this can make a massive difference to handling.

RWD cars tend to use wider rears, but tbh for every day driving a square set up is better. I don't know what the original offsets are for Audis but if it helps I run ET22 front and ET17 rear on my BMW. Iirc the originals are ET40ish.

A 35 profile will make for an uncomfortable ride. I just about get away with 40s.

Do the suspension work you want doing, get the arches rolled and take it from there.

Thanks a lot guys :)
It makes all sense.

So I will be going ahead with 255/35/20 Falken's FK452
on this wheels

http://hartmannwheels.com/wheels/hartmann-hs5-209-ga-m-replica-wheels-for-audi-fitment

I absolutely dont want anything else, I was sitting 4days in a row, all day and night to find this wheels after I saw the picture online, I searched whole UK, German and French market nothing.
It appeared to be a US Hartmann's product.
This morning I found few shops inc. Hartmann having them in stock so I'm excited like a little boy with his first electric car toy ;)

What Do you think about ordering from US if I have no other option, no one else does sell this rims in Europe. There is few copies very similar in Germany, they are ok but finished in Silver not in Charocal gloss.

ALSO
please correct me if I'm wrong.

ET25 is an offset which will bring the wheel more to outside where ET40 offset wheel hide the wheel inside the wheel arch ?!?!

Looking forward hearing from you guys
Have a great weekend ;)

Marc07

Thanks a lot guys :)
It makes all sense.

So I will be going ahead with 255/35/20 Falken's FK452
on this wheels

http://hartmannwheels.com/wheels/hartmann-hs5-209-ga-m-replica-wheels-for-audi-fitment

I absolutely dont want anything else, I was sitting 4days in a row, all day and night to find this wheels after I saw the picture online, I searched whole UK, German and French market nothing.
It appeared to be a US Hartmann's product.
This morning I found few shops inc. Hartmann having them in stock so I'm excited like a little boy with his first electric car toy ;)

What Do you think about ordering from US if I have no other option, no one else does sell this rims in Europe. There is few copies very similar in Germany, they are ok but finished in Silver not in Charocal gloss.

They look pretty sweet. You won't go wrong with 452s as well. I run them. Have you thought about a mild stretch on the tyre? Ordering from the US should be fine, just remember things like duty.

ALSO
please correct me if I'm wrong.

ET25 is an offset which will bring the wheel more to outside where ET40 offset wheel hide the wheel inside the wheel arch ?!?!

Looking forward hearing from you guys
Have a great weekend ;)

Marc07

Correct. If it helps, the lower the number, the further out it will sit.

They look really nice, I wouldn't mind a set of these myself! :eek:

I know mate, days and nights of searching the web base just on the picture ;) nightmare
Well, I couldn't find an email address so I will give them a call next week so I can ask for any discount if 2 sets are purchased and check how much would be the delivery to UK.

Also, I tried to go with your advice waynne, but my the biggest problem are massive arches, I went to tyre shop and tried 19'' on 35profile and they were still smaller than what I have know. To increase the overall size of wheel on 19'' rim i would have to go for 50 or even 60profile to be completely satisfied.
But then it would look very silly as you can imagine.

So it looks like 20'' option on a 255/35 Falken's is the best for this car.

And on top of it I found online retailer where I can get Falken 452s for 114.90 per tyre INC VAT and P&P !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for this size, so this is around 200ish quid in a pocket just for the tyres comparing to all other websites, same size tyres costs everywhere 170ish on average.

This is the picture I found originally in google, same color of the car, so I just fell in love with them as silver wheels dont look as good as gun metal/charocal ish ones and got completely blinded and said to my self I wont stop looking until I find them...
D3_A8_S5_209_20_1.jpg

A bit of idiot as for some reason I thought that Hartmann is a German company so after researching whole uk market I went for Germany next.
But if you look at the plates on the car, you have got the answer straight away :):):)

Prince, I know exactly what you saying, but I can't go for more than 35 on 20'' due to adjustable air suspension, so just had a thought and may rethink all idea once again.

Also changing suspension is not bad idea, I could even earn on it as compressor and 4 shock absorbers I can sell for 1500 minimum :)
....but I just love adjustable suspension, Comfort-family, Dynamic-on my own ;), Lift-off road, but thanks very much for the idea.

Also the original ET is 45, recommended one if you upgrading wheels should be 35-45. I'm really thinking about the 25 option instead of 40 as thats the only 2 options I've got with this wheels, but again, suspension may be a problem, on Comfort I'm sure it would be alright, but when you drop it then it may start shredding the tyres and wheel arch liners, so I need to get some advice on that as well.

Does any one how to avoid duty from US or how much is it, %? or a fixed rate???

Thank you guys once again
Hope you having a good weekend ;)

...and just a very quick one, would 9.0J rim will stretch 255/35 tyre ????

My wheel is a 19" x 8.0J rim and it has a 245/35 tyre on it as standard from Saab, so I would imagine a 255 would be perfectly ok on the 9.0 J rim size.

Prince, I know exactly what you saying, but I can't go for more than 35 on 20'' due to adjustable air suspension, so just had a thought and may rethink all idea once again.

Also changing suspension is not bad idea, I could even earn on it as compressor and 4 shock absorbers I can sell for 1500 minimum :)
....but I just love adjustable suspension, Comfort-family, Dynamic-on my own ;), Lift-off road, but thanks very much for the idea.

Also the original ET is 45, recommended one if you upgrading wheels should be 35-45. I'm really thinking about the 25 option instead of 40 as thats the only 2 options I've got with this wheels, but again, suspension may be a problem, on Comfort I'm sure it would be alright, but when you drop it then it may start shredding the tyres and wheel arch liners, so I need to get some advice on that as well.

Does any one how to avoid duty from US or how much is it, %? or a fixed rate???

I would go with the ET25 option. You may even want to use a spacer once they're fitted as well to get them 100% flush.

Get some proper suspension on there mate. Air is for people who want to look good whilst parked ;). Go for some fully adjustable coilovers and get the rims cambered out. It'll look sweet, help with cornering and enable you to clear the arches easier. The ET is pretty much the same for my BMW, yet I run quite low offsets comfortably.

With regards to the arches themselves. Get them rolled and possibly flared. Comfort just isn't going to happen with a profile like that as well, just drive round the potholes :lol:

Some companies mark things as a gift to avoid duty, but I have no idea how much it actually is.

...and just a very quick one, would 9.0J rim will stretch 255/35 tyre ????

A 235 will provide a much better stretch, a 245 may provide a slight stretch. Use this website to play around (it's quite accurate as well): willtheyfit.com.

...and what do you guys honestly think about this alloys ????

Untitjkbhled.jpg

Those I found in UK, similar design but... ?
20'' 8.5J ET35

Why?????
Do they look S*** or you have seen them somewhere or heard some bad things about them or what ?????

They've been to a tyre company/garage I wouldn't want to use.
Small maybe but it annoys me.
Those wheels should have an adhesive weight inside the wheel not hammered on the rim.

Well, I've noticed that thing and tried to zoom it but could actually seen whats that.
I was wondering if thats like a small badge like AEZ have on Valencia model.
You are right, the weights for balancing the wheel should be stick by adhesive from inside the wheel not hammered from outside.
If thats the weights then there is something wrong with them , or they are cheap S*** well out balance from new, has been knocked and refurbished or I dont know

i will email them and ask for some more quality pictures and some explanations.

Thanks TN

That's worrying! :blink: Our TN is the Capo di tutti capi of TC ;) Sicilian meaning the 'Boss of all bosses!' His word is enough for me to look elsewhere for a set of wheels! ;)

Understood the message!!!
Will call Hartmann in US to see if they can send a set to UK, fingers crossed.
I really want those which I posted earlier already on the same car same color, just fell in love with them if you get me ;)

Understood the message!!!
Will call Hartmann in US to see if they can send a set to UK, fingers crossed.
I really want those which I posted earlier already on the same car same color, just fell in love with them if you get me ;)

I understand you perfectly :) A lot of my purchases have been made through love and not any of the practicalities! :bigsmile:

Well
I may surprise quiet few in here, but I can get Falken FK-452 255/35/20 for 115.00 GBP
Inc VAT and inc Delivery
Bargain, so set 460.00.

Ride, I'm really not sure about that mate and it starts worrying me more and more every day.
I assume if I set the suspension to comfort it will be still comfortable, but if I set the suspension to dynamic then it will be well hard.

All I'm worry about, and don't want, is to get the wheels imported from us and then be disappointed if they will still look small (I'm talking now if I would go for the same wheels but 19''), car is 5m long on the end of the day and wheel arches are not small....

:blink:

Have you looked at 19s and 20s on other A8s? I wouldn't go with 255s as well. Personally I'd get some stretch on there and bring the arch close to the tyre. Otherwise you won't pull it off.

I don't know....personally I would go for a wider tyre, (by the way those wheels look the dogs boll... well... you know know what I mean ;) ) But then again my tyre size choice same down to cost... I use a 195/50/15 on the 306 and probably will use the same on the 205 also eventually. I orgininally wanted a 205 width but the extra cost was rediculas... also really I should use a 55 profile with 195's....
Lets compare,
All these prices are off a website called camskill, one which I buy my tyres on because they are loads cheaper than I've found as where else, even after fitting....
I use a Yokohama Parada Spec 2 but for this comparison I will be using a Michelin Pilot Exalto 2 because Camskill don't sell my usual tyre in a 55 profile....so....

195/55/15 Costs £89.90, for an 85V rated tyre, with delivery and VAT.
205/50/15 Costs £106.60 for an 86V tyre etc.....

and the 195/50/15..........£55.80!?!?!?!?!? 82V rating, why is the price miles apart when the sizes aren't?!?!?

So for an extra 10mm of tread (or 1cm if you're that way inclined....) I pay nearly DOUBLE the price on the Michelin, when I can put the savings and buy most of a second 195?!?!?!? I just don't get it!!!!

Also @marc07, where did you get that price from? because on Camskill one of those Falken 452's in your size comes in at £157, and I thought they were cheap!!

Thanks Jarrus

http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop....kplz=&Cookie=&language=&typ=R-128682&dsco=110

DELIVERED inc. VAT !!!!!!!!
There is no way u can find them cheaper.....but if you go any parameter up or down the price increases by 50quid at least per tyre.

Dog boll??????????? Sorry, I might be thick but not sure what you mine, are they bad !?!? ;) , and which one you refer to, the one which you can see on the car or those in the box ?????
Again, I really don't want to get to small wheels, as I said wheel arch is pretty massive, 18'' on 45profile looks really small for the size of car (5m).
What I will do is I will do one picture on lowered suspension and one comfort which is quiet high but not as high as the top setting, and then I will post them in here so everyone can see what I mean, I'm sure it will be easier.
But if you look at the A8 picture which I posted above, thats the comfort mode, middle suspension height, on the 20'' wheels, and they dont really look massive on the actual car or to big, or they do ???

As I said you can get them from US only, work out about 1200pounds for 20'' or 1050pounds for 19'', just the wheels, original Hartmanns.
Now I found the same wheels in UK and Germany, but obviously Hartmann's replicas, for about 700-800pounds for 19'' as the 20'' are only available in US from Hartmann.

Tyre width, I will stick to 255 as thats what I have on all wheels all the time for years.

??????? still very confused ;)

Well....search continues :)

I'm going now more towards 19'' on 255/40/19
Same width, 40 profile so between 45 and 35 so I should be on safe side in regards to not loosing any comfort.

Found them in Germany in 19''
Unsdfsdftitled.jpg

Untiwdftled.jpg

audi-a6-s6-4f-19-s5-felgen-alufelgen_1290433884.jpg

or them in UK , 20''
Untitwefwefwled.jpg

I assume that 19'' will still look nice and be comfortable same time, but they wont fill in the big gap in wheel arch as per this calculations

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.ph...2=19&wheelwidth2=8.5&offset2=35&Submit=Submit

...I will gain only 0.05mm ;) comparing 255/40/19 to current 255/45/18

Go for the 20s if you are going for looks. Just keep your originals for winter. In the picture above though stretched tyres are being used. 255s won't give that stretch.

Correct, 255 will start stretching on J9.5 and J10

Look - YES, Comfort - Don't want to lose it.
Balance 19'' , but if I put 45profile on 19'' it may look very stupid even if it will fill the arch gap by +13mm.

You wouldn't put a 45 profile on a 19 inch rim. It would be a 35. I have a 40 profile on my 17s. A 20 inch rim and you're looking at 30s, esentially blades!

You get used to feeling everythig in the road so I wouldn't worry about it too much. What is the main use of the car?

Since I do not drive 1000's of miles a month any more, is just a every day commuting, to morrisons, shopping centres, weekends out, I do not even drive to work anymore, but I would never put 30profile, 40-35max, I'm not after a stretch, just a good looking car not a show car.

There won't be much of a comfort difference between 19s and 20s. If you're not willing to drop the car low enough then go with 19s. To pull of 20s you'll need to go fairly low.

20'' will go with 255/35 as per every single source I found.
Would not go for 30, no way

This size Falkens are still 110-115 delivered each :)

20'' will go with 255/35 as per every single source I found.
Would not go for 30, no way

This size Falkens are still 110-115 delivered each :)

452s are an awesome tyre for the money (most people in the BMW world use them). If you buy them at March time you get them even cheaper!

Something you will need to consider is winter time as well (which is fast approaching). Make sure you have a second set to swap over so you don't ruin the new set.

Thats the plan guys ;)
Keep the 18'' with Dunlop Sport Maxx 01 as a spare set for winter.
May even look for some 18'' winters