Alloy wheels and their impact on handling and performance.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Some rally style alloy wheels are lighter – (less weight = more speed) and also are designed to increase the cooling of the brake disks. Some designs hold up better to being curbed than others and some break very easily when hitting a pothole or curb at speed. Always go for the best quality alloy wheel that you can afford and read the reports and reviews. If you do go for a different overall size you must get the suspension and tracking realigned to avoid uneven wear under acceleration.

Continue reading... or post your comments below on this article.

Fact of life - ALLOY WHEELS GET CURBED. Choose a pattern that will not stick out too much and hit the curb (split rims are good for this).

I don't understand this statement. Why are split rims better at avoiding kerbing than one piece wheels? Surely it is the tyre width/wheel width choice that determines the kerbing risk?

PS. As this is a UK based forum, it is kerbed :)

Most split rims have an outer edge and the rest of the wheel is safely inside so won't ever get Kerbed! You'll still nice the outside.

This was written when most of the popular alloy wheels stuck out or were level with the rim so kerbing looked terrible. That trend seems to have died out now.

Some rally style alloy wheels are lighter – (less weight = more speed) and also are designed to increase the cooling of the brake disks. Some designs hold up better to being curbed than others and some break very easily when hitting a pothole or curb at speed. Always go for the best quality alloy wheel that you can afford and read the reports and reviews. If you do go for a different overall size you must get the suspension and tracking realigned to avoid uneven wear under acceleration.

Continue reading... or post your comments below on this article.

For those who enjoy numbers, here is a white paper study.

http://www.sv-jme.eu/data/upload/2011/01/05_2009_046_Wang_06.pdf

From simple Chinese cast wheels to high end FORGED, roll formed and machined, You only get what you pay for. Buy the best quality construction you can afford!!! You life depends on it!!

Most split rims have an outer edge and the rest of the wheel is safely inside so won't ever get Kerbed! You'll still nice the outside.

This was written when most of the popular alloy wheels stuck out or were level with the rim so kerbing looked terrible. That trend seems to have died out now.

????

This does not compute.

The outer edge of a wheel is the same, whether it is a one piece or three piece wheel.

Kerbing is caused by the wheel rim sticking out past the tyre. This is independant of the wheel design and is caused by small tyres on wide rims.

????

This does not compute.

The outer edge of a wheel is the same, whether it is a one piece or three piece wheel.

Kerbing is caused by the wheel rim sticking out past the tyre. This is independant of the wheel design and is caused by small tyres on wide rims.

X's 2! |B Tire rim guards are now part of the tire, not the rim. Fit the rim width to the tire. :)

Yes of course less weight anywhere on a car means faster but that isnt the main reason for fitting lighter wheels

Far more important is having less unsprung mass which is a real benefit and this decreases much more proportionally than the total weight.
Weight also plays a large role in turning (gyroscopic effect) and in handling due to your suspension having to damp all of the road forces. When it comes to wheels and cars, lighter is always better for performance.
less unsprung mass the car reacts far lbetter to road imperfections and has better response to extreme braking and accelleration. It should also theoretically give a better ride but whether that actually works in practice is debateable.

A lot of alloy wheels however are more for show and pub talk and are not what i would call light . Also tyre weight is equally impotant but that always seems to be left out.

Some interesting weights in kg all 17 x 8j for compasison

Most merc wheels 9-10 kg
The lightest porsche wheels are around 9 kg
Bmw m3 e36 8.9
Audi tt 9.5
Evo 9.3
Volks t37 7.4
BBS LMs 9.1
Nismo Lms 7.3
Brabus monoblocs 10+
Most compomotives are 9+ as are mosts enkeis although they do.make one which is Round 7 kg but uber rare

By contast I do have a set of Wedsport TC05s in my garage which will fit the stagea . These are one of the lightest road wheels made at only 6.7 kgs each

Yes of course less weight anywhere on a car means faster but that isnt the main reason for fitting lighter wheels

Far more important is having less unsprung mass which is a real benefit and this decreases much more proportionally than the total weight.
Weight also plays a large role in turning (gyroscopic effect) and in handling due to your suspension having to damp all of the road forces. When it comes to wheels and cars, lighter is always better for performance.
less unsprung mass the car reacts far lbetter to road imperfections and has better response to extreme braking and accelleration. It should also theoretically give a better ride but whether that actually works in practice is debateable.

A lot of alloy wheels however are more for show and pub talk and are not what i would call light . Also tyre weight is equally impotant but that always seems to be left out.

Some interesting weights in kg all 17 x 8j for compasison

Most merc wheels 9-10 kg
The lightest porsche wheels are around 9 kg
Bmw m3 e36 8.9
Audi tt 9.5
Evo 9.3
Volks t37 7.4
BBS LMs 9.1
Nismo Lms 7.3
Brabus monoblocs 10+
Most compomotives are 9+ as are mosts enkeis although they do.make one which is Round 7 kg but uber rare

By contast I do have a set of Wedsport TC05s in my garage which will fit the stagea . These are one of the lightest road wheels made at only 6.7 kgs each

Agreed, except for "tyre weight is equally important". IMO tyre weight is more important then wheel weight as it is on the circumference where any weight is multiplied compared to weight closer to the axis.

you are of course correct OG

In my defence I meant that tyres weights are usually left out completely in wheel weight discussions so shoul;d be included as well. ( but I didnt write that so spot on )

you are of course correct OG

In my defence I meant that tyres weights are usually left out completely in wheel weight discussions so shoul;d be included as well. ( but I didnt write that so spot on )

:) Glad to be of assistance, but I guessed you knew that, my comment was really for the less experienced :)