alfa

tonyvw

Car
1972 volkswagen bee
hi to all
just got from bristol where my son bought a black 1.9 diesel
what a brilliant car has everything
the point i want to make is that in ireland we are been screwed in the cost of cars taking all costs in plane/ferry/vrt/taxes/filling the tank/other cost he saved €5000 by buying the car in bristol allso
not far from where he got the alfo there was a main dealer where we got the socket for the wheel lock nuts they where very very helpfull i think it was about €35 to buy and get delivery to cork ireland in ireland it would have cost about €125
i will get all the tech details and will post them
as we say keep between the ditches and mind that car:D

Hello TonyVW (Dad!), what are you doing on this forum??!! :)

Thanks for the link to this site, just registered there a few seconds ago and recognised the username....

Yes, brought back an Alfa 159 1.9 JTDm. We already have a couple of other Italian ladies in the family so this one was a welcome addition. This is my first diesel actrual car I've bought. Up to now the only diesels I've driven/owned were tractors and Jeeps.. and have to say so far I'm well impressed. We drove 318 miles on half a tank of devil-oil.. that's approx 37 litres.

I know these engines suffer from DPF, EGR and possible swirl flap issues... but at the price I've paid, even if I had to sink another grand into her I'm still ahead. she's a high miler so at >90k miles surely the steering rack won't fail either at this stage.. :bigsmile:

The car was bought with no alloy wheel lock key. The local AR service center in Bilslington (spelling?) ordered one (delivered home) for STG£22. The AR dealer back in Ireland (when I rang him from UK) said they would drill and cut the wheels off... at >euro80 per hour... crazy or what??!! ha ha ha... cowboys woo hoo.

Anyway this is my first post on this site! Hello to all... now I'm going to lurk for a while and read all the posts on Alfas.....

Cheers......

Welcome,

You need to talk to Harvey on here as he has a Vauxhall Vectra with exactly the same enigne in as yours so can point you in the right direction in term of performance tuning it and even sorting the swirl flap and EGR issues.

It's a good engine to work with and tonnes of power and torque can be had out of them.