Alfa Romeo 156

dugy

Car
Alfa Romeo 156 '05
Hi there, i'm new to the forum and a new owner of Alfa Romeo 156 '05, 1.6 TS. I have read a lot of threads about tuning my Alfa and i think i'm even more confused than i was in the beginning, so i need ur help. I will need all the help i can get, cause i'm very very new to these things :)

First of all i want 2 things done to my car, add some HP and get some sound of that engine, so here are the questions:

I was thinking at taking my car to a chip tuning, which will add it from 8-12 HP (i would be happy with 8). So will this chip tuning cause any problems, parts to die quicker ?? I think this is the cheapest way to add some liveliness, what do u guys thing ??

Then about the sound, here are the big questions... An air filter or an exhaust, which air filter or which exhaust ??

I asked about these 2 filters:

1. K&N Typhoon induction Kit
  2. BMC CDA Cold Air induction kit

K&N is suppose to sound better, but the BMC is suppose to give more power than the K&N (more liveliness than power, i dont expect much more than the sound from the filter). What do u guys think ??

How about an exhaust, its pricier, i was thinking in terms of the rear exhaust, they are all around 400€ or more, are they a better choice than an air filter, cause the sound is there from the beginning, will only the rear exhaust add more power, or should we say liveliness than an air filter ??
Are there any rear exhausts that add some HP and sound, or do u have to change the whole exhaust to gain some HP ??

A local tuning store said that if i change an air filter with the K&N Typhoon kit and change the rear exhaust i could gain 5 HP, is this true or just bs ?? I'm not looking to increase the power by 30 HP or sth like that, maybe just add some liveliness to the motor and a little sound, so i can hear the car, that's all :)

Sorry about my english and all the "liveliness" ;)

I will appreciate all the help u can give me!

Miha

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there, I hope you are well. May I wish you a warm welcome to TorqueCars, it is a pleasure to meet you.

Sorry I missed this thread.

You'll find us a pretty friendly bunch and I'm sure you'll start to love and enjoy the forums as much as we all do. (It gets quite addictive at times.)

Feel free to get involved in our other threads, all opinions are welcome and as they say "the more the merrier"! (It's also great when people start new threads and discussions and all adds to the great debate.)

The K&N will give the best sound IMO. For a power increase on the exhaust you need really to replace from headers through the catalyst (sports cat) up to the tailpipe. I doubt you'd really notice a 5bhp power increase, this is about the same as the difference from Summer to Winter driving with lower temp air carrying more oxygen.

Keep us up to date with your project as well, we like to see what people are getting up to with their cars.

https://www.torquecars.com/alfa_romeo/156-tuning.php

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome. I think i'm gonna look a little more into exhausts, which one sounds the best and gives most power increases. If anyone would like to suggest an exhaust that gives a deep sound and has a nice increase in power, feel free to let me know ;)

supersprint have great exhaust systems. and you can also find stainless steel manifolds for most models. other offers from csc and ragazzon.
as for intake i would go for a CDA Cold Air induction kit.
chiptunnig remains the most cost effective improvement you can do to this particular car.

supersprint have great exhaust systems. and you can also find stainless steel manifolds for most models. other offers from csc and ragazzon.
as for intake i would go for a CDA Cold Air induction kit.
chiptunnig remains the most cost effective improvement you can do to this particular car.

I just found out that they dont make Supersprint exhausts for Alfa Romeo's 156 2005 :(

Edit by Turbonutter69.
Link removed for two reasons.
1st Users are required to contribute 10 posts to the forum before uploading pics or links.
2nd The link wouldn't open anyway.
Please feel free to have a wander around the forum there are many discussions going on that you could get involve in and you'll soon hit 10 posts. :)

Last edited by a moderator: