Alfa 33 1.7 IE Tuning????

Escapethefate

Car
Alfa Romeo 33 16v
Hii everyone. I've purchased my first car and its an Alfa 33 1.7 boxer :)
I have an alfa mechanic in the family so taking care of it isnt much of an issue.

Question is, does anyone know any quick ways of tunning my boxer to get some more oompffhh.

People have suggested supercharger (meaning no air con ) or getting some weber carbies with 40mm inlets and tunning them to the best.

Also want to know where i can find body kits for the alfa (Wide touring style or just sumfin nice) and also what is the Stud measurement on the wheels so i can custom put my own in.

I generally want to know what i can do to the car, interior, exterior, engine, performance everything. So all suggestions will be very helpful.

Any owners of this car, ur experience in dealing with this car will b helpful.

thanks in advance to all

Hey and welcome to torquecars mate.
sorry know nothing about the alfa 33s.
Is losing the aircon your only reason for not supercharging ?

Hii pgarner, ive considered it.
But summer is much too hot to not have aircon. i like the windows rolled down but there is only just so much u can take. I guess im lookn for comfort and power.

The supercharger i wud grab wud b similar to the one from 4agze motor, toyota. Its only small, and prob only get around 7psi boost but maybe with some proper pulley upgrades it could be a worthwhile investment. Will have too see.

And turbo would be fair expensive and i doubt it fits anywhere in my engine bay lol

Last edited:
ahh didnt see your in Oz. over there air con will be nessesasry our summer 20ish degrees yours what late 30s early 40s

i have heard about some turbo kits fitting into the exhaust, not at the manifold but under the car in place of one o the silencers. dont know how well they work giving that the induction length is greatly increased

Yeh it gets upto 45 sumdays, had a few like that last summer.

Yeh ive seen the turbo in some 33's. Havnt got much good feedback on it though. If i was too force feed it, best option will b supercharger i guess. Days like this i wish i had a 75.

Do u see many 33's in the Uk? body kits?

its not something ive seen many of. and of those couple theyve all looked standard.
then again i do live well away from the main stying and tuning cities.

Hi and welcome to TorqueCars - 8 posts already (keep up the good work!)

The alfas are really nice cars. I heard of a guy getting some twin 40's on them. The engines sound fantastic. They also handle pretty nicely with fairly good front rear weight distribution.

Ok, so my car is fuel injected..... toss up between going for a set of carbies (Weber 40's) or for a better ECU. Which will have more of a performance benefit???

And how does that work??? first time i heard of it mate

pgarner said:
i have heard about some turbo kits fitting into the exhaust, not at the manifold but under the car in place of one o the silencers. dont know how well they work giving that the induction length is greatly increased

the turbo takes the place of the silencer or in glaymores project the back box

In reference to the above i have seen this on a BMW, mounting the turbo here though must create more lag surly...how do you overcome that. I also saw that he had two smallish intercoolers mounted in seires as apposed to 1 big intercooler...what are the advantages of that?

yeah due to the longer intake length you do lave more lag due to the lost boost

with the intercoolers ???? mabye to reduce heat soak but not sure

also quick question my car seem slugish until it gets to 2000rpm them just pickis up power any ideas
:p

hi buddy i have the same engine as you in my series 3 33,they have throttle bodies as standard so with a ramapable ecu you will see 160hp,unfortunately without going to the more extremes of forced induction you wont get much over 200hp.there is a race one here in the UK that pushes 350hp with a supercharger.

hi guys,

I'd like to know where can I get performance parts for this car... I have the same engine in my 33... but I can't find anything for it... I'd like to get headers and an exhaust... also quick question Ross, what engine management equipment would you recommend for the 33 series?

Thanks guys!

i have the same car, but i would like to do the opposite.(save on gasoline), since i use the car everyday I was thinking of remapping the ecu, pre-heating the gasoline, the use of an electric waterpump, using a more powerful coil, improved spark-plugs and sparkplug wires, and maybe even a thermostat that opens sooner.
what do you think? the car has 77,000 km, and i get only 10 km per litre on the highway.
Maybe you know someone who can help me ?
thanks,

Sandy

hey Sandy.
first of all the thermostat should open later, warmer engine means better economy. Also the gasoline should be as cool as possible to vaporize better thus getting more torque out of your engine.
My suggestion is first get your injectors inspected, get the wheel alignment right, your tire pressure right, lose all the junk in your car. Also a panel filter should get you better mpg.
plugs should always be in top condition.
And most important think of this: the car originally ran on liter of gasoline per 13 km.