Alfa 159 TDI ?

Broken Cambelt

Torque Junkie
Car
Fiesta 1.4
I recently posted a thread about modifiying my fiesta with an enginge swap and uprated suspension , this would cost a few grand to change all of the parts that i would need to make it work ( brakes, suspension, gearbox ect),

however today i found an almost new alfa romeo 159 2.4 l TDI for sale at under five grand (a little more than my modification buget, but not unaffordable) stats said 50 + MPG, and 0-60 in eight seconds,

what is the general opinion on this car?, and what is its tuning potential in the future? i love the style of alphas but am a little worried about the stories of unreliability, is it as bad as all that? and the main question ,buy this, or modify mine?

any feedback would be greatly aprecciated

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's looked after you shouldn't have a problem with it. There is not a lot of potential as Alfa squeeze out the max they can from the engines. It has a lovely chassis though and I'm sure that with a remap you can see another 20-40% power!

sounds like a good deal, a good handling chassis does matter more to me than flat out speed anyway, the ad said full history, so ill look into that before i commit to buying, 40% more power from a remap sounds amazing, though ive never owned a diesel before, so id probably leave that to a tuning company.

thanks for correcting the spelling of the thread title BTW.