Alfa 159 2,2 JTS Tuning

Nelonen

Car
Alfa 159 2,2 JTS
I last week booked time to friday this week (8.1) for remapping + JR sports filter for my Alfa 159 2,2 JTS.
They also have rear exhaust silencers on stock and I think one of mine will have to be replaced soon, so perhaps I go for those also...
Hopefully I can gain some extra hp as well.

With the remap and filter there should be over 200 bhp and the sport exhaust silencer hopefully add more than the sound.
Perhaps it will look nicer also since the pipes are then 90mm instead of 70mm...or ?

I probably need to use only 98 RON gasoline after that..

Back with comments after some weeks of testing.

Take Care

I look forward to reading about your experiences. I'm sure lots of others with the 2.2 JTS are also interested in how you get on with the mods.:)

Hi Nelonen.

How did you get on the the modification? Did you notice much difference or any problems crop up? As you homework, please write a full report! :)

I'm really interested to know your opinions on the upgrades you did as I'm looking to do similar to my 2.2.

Autodelta do a supercharger for this engine,
it's based on a rotrex centrifugal design, very nice, you get 250 hp after as well :)

*bump*

Any update on this thread out of interest? I'm guessing there would be minimal hp gains with a n/a engine, but the mods might help the hesitation issue that kills is 2.2JTS drivers... :)

As mentioned above the Autodelta supercharger kit is a real temptation alright, it's a bit pricey so time to save... but I think I'll just hold out until the warranty is finished.;)

I might still be a good idea to get a remap as it will address things like the throttle map and cold start as aswell as the igintion and fuelling curves.

It might even sort out your hesitation problem out. Celtic tuning quote 200 bhp and 188 lbft up from 185 bhp and 170 lbft

Doesn't sound like a massive gain but like I said it should iron out that hesitation problem and make it better to drive.

They say on celtic:

The new Twin Phaser generation of engine brings new levels of refinement and power to the Alfa range. The GM sourced engine uses only the block with Alfa head, pistons, crank and rods to ensure it maintains the true characteristics of the engines it replaces. The varying inlet and exhaust cams enable 200bhp to be achieved giving a good performance improvement. With the flat spot from the mid range removed and a new 7,300rpm limiter it allows the full flexibility of the engine to be exploited.

So yes it does help the mid range dip in power like you said....

Did the remap and JR filter, for 2 years ago.
The experiense: the cars feels a little bit "lighter" and does not hesitate anymore.
Is it worth it? I guess so. Now the car is like it was meant to be.
Quicker? Hard to say, but it runs smoother.
Fuel consumption, more or less the same...it more depends on your foot :)
Experience overall fot the 159 2,2 JTS:
Working very, very well in Finland, -30 no problem. I've had it for 5 years now.
The steering "Gearrack" was replaced by the warranty. Now the rear springs has to be replaced. Otherwise just drive and enjoy the ride. I think I'll stick with it for some more years.

Those torque figures sound wrong. Only 188lb ft after a remap on a turbo diesel? My old petrol n/a 2.5 V6 Vectra had that amount of torque, and my Bora 1.9 diesel had 230lb ft before my remap.

Those torque figures sound wrong. Only 188lb ft after a remap on a turbo diesel? My old petrol n/a 2.5 V6 Vectra had that amount of torque, and my Bora 1.9 diesel had 230lb ft before my remap.

It is a petrol engine.

Getting 200bhp as Celtic is claiming? Doubt it. The engine is down on claimed factory power by 20bhp. in Alfa fashion.