Air Intake Kit write up question

Anything lower than abuot 130bhp is my rule of thumb. Even on more powerful engines, unless you fit a cold air feed you will lose power. I'd only really recommend an induction kit if it is for the noise, as a power mod there are much better things to spend your money on.

Agree with Waynne entirely. But I think that 130bhp i.e. around the 1.6's - 2.0 8v engine size shouldn't be too bad. I know that the 205 1.6 GTi does actually run a little better with one, but there are some engines that like you say, will run worse due to them sucking in way too much air.

Anything lower than abuot 130bhp is my rule of thumb. Even on more powerful engines, unless you fit a cold air feed you will lose power. I'd only really recommend an induction kit if it is for the noise, as a power mod there are much better things to spend your money on.

Thanks Waynne, so instead of an air induction kit, what would you recommend to spend money on for a 1.8 litre 4 in-line SOHC CIVIC FD1? Let's say one do not have a deep pocket -something moderate/nice. I'd rather not wake the neighbours up and considering the fact that the Air Induction Kit will not help too much in performance.

Agree with Waynne entirely. But I think that 130bhp i.e. around the 1.6's - 2.0 8v engine size shouldn't be too bad. I know that the 205 1.6 GTi does actually run a little better with one, but there are some engines that like you say, will run worse due to them sucking in way too much air.

Thanks again Bad63R, do you have any recommendations on a well spent performance mod? :D --- newbie here...

Yup, I have a great idea that my mate is doing with his 1.8 vtec converted CRX (old shape not the Del Sol). He bought a kit which i'll link you below that has gone on very well. The only thing he had to buy on the side is pistons, rods and arp bolts, and also some custom chips and mapping for the ecu but check this out for value for money...:)

Link Here.

Good price Bad63r but still expensive. What about a sports catalyst, panel air filter and fast road cam?

Yup, I have a great idea that my mate is doing with his 1.8 vtec converted CRX (old shape not the Del Sol). He bought a kit which i'll link you below that has gone on very well. The only thing he had to buy on the side is pistons, rods and arp bolts, and also some custom chips and mapping for the ecu but check this out for value for money...:)

Link Here.

What a load of cheap sh*te lol. No offence Badger but a genuine Garrett T3 roller bearing turbo (or simular) will cost you more than that alone. I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark here and guess that the quality is p*ss poor!

Link Here.

Wow! But I will pass the inspection for this kit.

We have people selling and fitting these for Singapore Dollars 4 - 5K..way expensive.

Some even invested in quad throttles. :eek:

Cheers mate!

Some of the blokes in Singapore installed Induction Kit the wrong way without considering cooling the open pod area (if in the case of Badger's advise that it requires proper cooling). They simply plug in the open pod filter and left it as that. No enclosure and Cold Air Feed.

So mates, in order for this to work properly (assuming for one who wants noise), they need to have an enclosure that sort of divides the open pod air space from the engine compartment and have a CAI feed into that compartment, Is that correct? Will this still result in loss of low-end (though lesser or with this set up, low-end will not be affected as compared to stock air box?) Sorry for my questions? Please forgive me if they are silly ones.

Temperature in Singapore is around 28-33 degrees celcius (ouch!). So air coming from outside into that compartment should still be 100% + cooler.

The open pod to the engine will have a straight piping (only a slight bend of 45% to the engine). I was thinking of the spherical type by HKS. A CAI has already been fitted bypassing the resonator and will be directed to the custom heat insulation box that will house the open pod. Is this set up good?

Here are some links to futher read up on sports catalyst, and fast road cam?

Waynne, the Sports Cat is not approved here in sunny Singapore. Changing of cams is a big project and in our city driving environment, low end is important. Thanks for the valuable input though.

Mates, I have decided to go with Increase in mid pipe size (custom) to about 25-30% more. Will be also de-cating the front side Catalyst (in the engine compartment). This should yield 8-10% of HP as claimed by some. Is this accurate? Anyone contesting to this claim?

Cheers!

James

My Ride: FD1A

Cheers mate. Will be Derbyshire this 11th June 2010 for 14 days! Any shop to recommend for a visit??

29915_126919327331315_100000397448278_216700_624564_n.jpg

29915_126919457331302_100000397448278_216701_1497402_n.jpg

29915_126919510664630_100000397448278_216702_5594102_n.jpg

A black carbon fibre DTM WING would look great. Or you can go subtle and get a boot lit spoiler like that fitted to the older VTS Civic.

A black carbon fibre DTM WING would look great. Or you can go subtle and get a boot lit spoiler like that fitted to the older VTS Civic.

Nice the carbon one Waynne. I'll look at both of them and update the pics!

Cheers mate!

James

I'd go with the big ass carbon fibre wing on your car, it looks the business

what engine is in that thing?

Sorry for coming back late. I was away for 2 weeks.

Looks good man.

Did not do anything to the engine. Still contemplating what is to be done.

Done:

1) 6 pot Mini Brakes with 303 mm for front wheels
2) Mugen Exhaust (end)
3) Pivot VS
4) Front and Rear ARB, Front and rear upper struts, H-Brace and Front and Rear lower ties
5) BC BR Coilovers
6) OZ Wheels wrapped with RE001 Potenza Bridgestone RUbbers
7) THinking of mid pipe and header next....

PS: In Singapore, we can't change the engine :)

That's a bitch, but it's not the question i asked,

what engine is in it now and is it modded?

sorry, just got back from overseas trip.

the engine is stock B18A. would love to have it swapped for something bigger but its illegal here :(

Pointless. A wing isn't needed on a FWD car. I'd leave it looking smooth.

Hey Prince, thanks for that! taking your post, i went on to google and found some write ups about it. This means if we go with big ass spoilers, it would only be for aesthetics. Is this accurate? Thanks again.

Why not tweak it up then? Turbo conversions are common,

jarrus, what do you suggest for a b18a? do you guys get this build there? I haven't got a clue if a supercharge is better or turbo kit. also which is less intrusive, in terms complications in getting it fixed. you have anything on this to share? thanks in advance.

James

From what I can find, turbos have been done on this engine and have made good power,
but I would personally go for a supercharger just so it's driveable everyday,

but really ethier are good, pros and cons to both

supercharger is easier to install because you don't chop into the engine oil for it, most superchargers have there own oil supply, and also you won't need to chop up or swap your exhaust manifold, but you will need to drive it off the engine crank to make power and you can do that 1 of 3 ways, 1) put it in with the main cam belt, now I wouldn't really recommend this as this is the most important belt of them and all you don't want to upset it if you can help it, 2) put it in the aux belt, probebly the neatest option of the 3 but not the easiest, you may have to relocate other things like the pas pump or the altenator or even the ac compressor (if you have air con that is) 3) add another pulley to the crank, possibly the easiest of the 3 options but not always room to do so,

there is loads of other things to consider as well, just hit me up some more if you want more in depth info

Brett

From what I can find, turbos have been done on this engine and have made good power,
but I would personally go for a supercharger just so it's driveable everyday,

but really ethier are good, pros and cons to both

supercharger is easier to install because you don't chop into the engine oil for it, most superchargers have there own oil supply, and also you won't need to chop up or swap your exhaust manifold, but you will need to drive it off the engine crank to make power and you can do that 1 of 3 ways, 1) put it in with the main cam belt, now I wouldn't really recommend this as this is the most important belt of them and all you don't want to upset it if you can help it, 2) put it in the aux belt, probebly the neatest option of the 3 but not the easiest, you may have to relocate other things like the pas pump or the altenator or even the ac compressor (if you have air con that is) 3) add another pulley to the crank, possibly the easiest of the 3 options but not always room to do so,

there is loads of other things to consider as well, just hit me up some more if you want more in depth info

Brett

Brett, thanks..I've checked, there ins't SuperCharger available for R18A as they already produced TurboKit for this engine. That's too much of a hassle.

What do you think of removing the catalyc converter that's installed at the header? Someone says that it would increase 5% horsepower and its a cheap mod. ANy other suggestions for HP increase (without compromising too much in the low end).

Thanks.

J

to be fair, if a turbo seems too much hastle then there isn't really much else you can do to it,
removing the cat can gain you some more horses but i'm not sure if you will pass your emissions test though

So what is best way to improve performance on a 2005 civic type-S (160BHP) ?

Alright buddy your post got stuck in the moderation queue as you require 10 posts before you can upload pics and links. It was the quoted bit that got the post caught in the mod queue.
I've approved it this time for you mate.;)

Welcome to the forum as well buddy.:)

to be fair, if a turbo seems too much hastle then there isn't really much else you can do to it,
removing the cat can gain you some more horses but i'm not sure if you will pass your emissions test though

Oh definitely not..which is really something i'd rather avoid. It smells so bad that a traffic police a mile away can sniff us out.

:D

I fitted an open pot with a box to divide the engine from this open pod. The pod is connected to the throttle body through a very short piping (like a short ram). Seems like my low end is compromised. Stock box gives better pick up. But I think on higher gears and rev, this set up gives more torque and horsepower. I am not struggling whether to keep it...any comments?

Cheers.

Alright buddy your post got stuck in the moderation queue as you require 10 posts before you can upload pics and links. It was the quoted bit that got the post caught in the mod queue.
I've approved it this time for you mate.;)

Welcome to the forum as well buddy.:)

Thank you sir! appreciate that...in desperation need to learn more..cheers..

I'd fit your standard box and modify it a little, you can cut all the fins out of the box that's a good start,

also look at all the induction pipework, is there any where, where the pipe get's smaller or there are loads of bends? if so replace them with better ones, also a sports panel filter is a good idea although replacing pipework with less restrictive stuff (if it requires) will yield better results

I'd fit your standard box and modify it a little, you can cut all the fins out of the box that's a good start,

also look at all the induction pipework, is there any where, where the pipe get's smaller or there are loads of bends? if so replace them with better ones, also a sports panel filter is a good idea although replacing pipework with less restrictive stuff (if it requires) will yield better results

That sounds like a great idea. The fins are hard to cut by hand so am thinking of a grinder to grind it down but may be tricky as any accidental mistake may cause me a stick box.anyways, will take a look at it.

I am using KNN filter in the stock box. Better air flow.

Well, will be removing the short ram today. It has caused my car to loose low end power though I am pretty sure high end is slightly better. Unless, I have a turbo or supercharge, this set up of short ram would not be ideal for city driving. However, the sound of the engine revving is desirable!

Best thing to do is use a dremal with a course sanding tool to grind the fin down then use a finer grade bit to smooth it out (and the rest of the box when the fins are ground down) afterwards wash the box out 3 or 4 times to make sure the excess/loose plastic has gone you don't want it in your engine, but definitely check the rest of the intake for restrictions like smaller diameter pipe and unwarranted bends, one good mod would be to move the intake pipe to the airbox so the snorkel sits in a high pressure area at the front of your car, just like the gruppe m kits for hondas,

Best thing to do is use a dremal with a course sanding tool to grind the fin down then use a finer grade bit to smooth it out (and the rest of the box when the fins are ground down) afterwards wash the box out 3 or 4 times to make sure the excess/loose plastic has gone you don't want it in your engine, but definitely check the rest of the intake for restrictions like smaller diameter pipe and unwarranted bends, one good mod would be to move the intake pipe to the airbox so the snorkel sits in a high pressure area at the front of your car, just like the gruppe m kits for hondas,

this is the way i did my airbox
but another way pg did which is cleaner and probably easier (dependant on the shape of your airbox??) use a stanley knife to score along the fins then use a sharp chisel to chisel it out no rubbing down then;) (wish i had thought of doing it this way:sad2:)