Air filter change

HDi fun

TC ModFather
Car
Passat 2.0 TDi
Am I jumping the gun here. This filter has covered 8000 miles and looks like this. I have replaced it. Should I have left it longer?

Attachments

• DSC_0071.JPG
    DSC_0071.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 5
It takes a lot for these filter to end up being restricted. I think the official service interval is 24,000 or 2 years on these engines air filters.

There is nothing to be lost by replacing them though and they are quite cheap really.

I've always done them as soon as they start to look a bit grubby - like this one. Just wondered if I was being overly fussy. Appears you guys think I'm doing the right thing. Which is what I advise everyone else on here to do - cheap as chips circa £5 paper filter, just change it frequently.

TY :)

I personally would go for replacing it for even the limits that it has mentioned because they are cheaper and secondly changing them shows a clear difference in the torque!

No - IMO for what they cost they should be changed as often as possible.

I personally would go for replacing it for even the limits that it has mentioned because they are cheaper and secondly changing them shows a clear difference in the torque!

It's also true that these filters filter best when dirty. I think that filter looks like it's in it's prime, fair enough if you need power then replace it at the cost of having slightly larger particles pass through.

I swap mine out every 2 years which is about 15K miles. I never notice a boost in performance after changing it. So I figure I'm alright.