AIR CON - Do you actually use it?

MasterAuron

Very Senior Member
Car
Mk1 Focus RS
I'm considering removing the air con on my FRS after Le Mans, mostly to save weight, as I literally never use it.

Then thinking about it I realized I barely ever use the air con in my daily Fez either. It's hot here like two days of the year, and I'd rather just crack open a window and get some fresh air and exhaust fumes.

So, question is how often do you actually use your air con?

No do,nt really use it,i have had the car nearly 3 years and only used it once for about 10 minutes,i have thought about taking it out,but cant be bothered !!!!!!!!!!!!!.

I work nights and leave home about 5.30.pm if its been hot all day I use it for about 3
miles of the 12 mile trip to cool the car down other than that hardly ever.

in the Leon I used it quite regular
In both the legacys fuel consumption was so bad so never
But in the latest car with 45mpg I can see myself using it alot more:)

I don't find it hits MPG too hard at all. Leaving the AC off for extended periods causes seals to dry out and this results in loss of R134a refrigerant.

Use it or lose it

Surprisingly I found myself turning the air con on in the gtr on the way to Leeds castle yesterday

Sorry, what's Air Con? :lol: :D

I use it once in a while. I didn't know that about Air Con units which HDi mentioned, very informative.

I have air-con but very rarely use it, if in a very rare summer and stuck in traffic then it'll be used but other than that open windows do it for me.

Many people don't seem to grasp that fact. Possibly the A/C in their cars isn't working properly simply because they never use it and never have it recharged ? ?

I do actually turn mine on periodically because I know about the seals drying (aarp aarp) and it's still ice cold in both cars but hardly ever use it for cooling. I'm surprised tbh that quite so many of you use it. Hardly any of my mate's use it bar one who has it on constantly, it seems you're either a non user or an addict :)

Periodically running it is a good plan.

I'm not a proper addict - I've had A/C for far too many years that the fascination of being frozen rigid has long since departed me.

I leave the temperature set at 20 Celsius or thereabouts and let it sort the rest out itself.

Why, however, do I need two temperature zones in the front alone, with the centre dashboard vents able to deliver warmer or cooler air as well. Same in the back seats - there's a set of face level vents in the back of the centre console for the rear passengers and that too can have it's output altered warmer/cooler according to preference. Seems overkill to me :-$