Again turbo charge a petrol one...

Aprendiz

Car
BMW 518i E28
Well, I already realised that it isn`t a easy thing to do, but, can I aplly a turbo on my 1986 E28 518i BMW, it is a 1.8cc (five manual gears) and runs on GPL, and the compression ratio is 9.50:1, have I any chance???

We get asked this question a lot so have a look at these threads which cover the basics. I have to admire your ambition though!:D And I hope you pull it off.

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f101/adding-turbo-nasp-engine-15003/
http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f118/fitting-turbo-some-dos-dont-s-24176

Cheap turbos can be purchased from breakers yards which are ideal for a try it and see type project.:bigsmile:

Please note that I don't think it is worth adding a turbo to an old car with a small capacity engine. There is nothing stopping you but the money and hassle will just not be worth the power gain you get. It is better to just buy a better car for your tuning project.:confused:

Adding a turbo is a major engineering task and without a kit with full instructions and all the parts you need there is a big risk of blowing up the engine. Expect to spend 50 hours upwards on a project of this type. This is not the sort of modification you should undertake unless you are mechanically competent and know what you are doing.

It is worth looking at superchargers as these are generally much easier to install than a turbo is.

It really is better to read the threads Waynne posted up, one of which was done because I got fed up with replying to each one plus there is more detail in them than you could expect in a reply.

But you did give some info so it is possible to be more specific.

9.5 - 1 is way too high for a new turbo engine let alone one that has done some miles - that is if you want it to last any time at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
You probably don't want to hear this, but you would be much better off just putting a 525, 528 or even a 535 engine in it.