After-market TCM and Powertrain Fault

BHardee

Car
2015 C-Max SEL 2.0
First, don't laugh. I have a 2015 Ford C-Max 2.0, naturally aspirated, that is my daily driver. I have been hopping it up slowly over the last year. I installed an after market TCM 6 months ago, but I can only use the lowest 2 of the 5 settings (still better than stock), or my car has a Powertrain Fault and goes into Limp-Home-Mode. My code reader finds no Fault Code before, after, or during the Powertrain fault, except (again, no code) an "O2 Sensor Trip." I sent data to TCM manufacturer who tested it on a C-Max and said the TCM is too powerful for my factory PCM and I need to upgrade, but they don't make those. Any suggestions? Tuners? Turbos? Witchdoctors? Help!!!

The PCM is probably trying to protect the transmission from all that torque and power.

Upping power on an Auto transmission is a nightmare for this reason and I know some have had the car mapped to a lower peak power band but extended the power band through the RPM range.

Does the C Max share TCM's with any other models? For example the Mondeo ST or Focus ST would probably be an upgraded version? Check the transmission part codes and see if you can find a match in any of the other models.

You might not find a C MAX upgrade but I'm sure there will be one out there for a similar car that shares the same components.

The PCM is probably trying to protect the transmission from all that torque and power.

Upping power on an Auto transmission is a nightmare for this reason and I know some have had the car mapped to a lower peak power band but extended the power band through the RPM range.

Does the C Max share TCM's with any other models? For example the Mondeo ST or Focus ST would probably be an upgraded version? Check the transmission part codes and see if you can find a match in any of the other models.

You might not find a C MAX upgrade but I'm sure there will be one out there for a similar car that shares the same components.

Thank you! The C-Max is basically a Focus, lightened, with the hybrid package added (more or less). Some parts are the same, some are not. A buddy of mine used to be a Ford “mechanic” (oil-changer), he said that I may not be able to change out the PCM, because the hybrid unit is interconnected (he thinks). The other issue is that it is my daily driver so I can’t blow it up...sad, but true. I wonder if Focus owners have had this same problem since it is the same engine and similar tranny?

Keep us posted, I note you've had 25 views of this thread already and I'm sure if there's anyone out there searching for this issue they'll find your thread here.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back