afraid of polishing or waxing

tracklayer

Car
2012 Cmax titanium
just had a Cmax in lunar sky which as you probably know is a darkish brown the previous car was black and i am sooo afraid to polish or wax it as all i keep seeing on dark cars is swirling,either they are over waxed or lightly scratched with polishing at a guess??.my neighbour has a black car and uses mer what he doesnt realise is when the sun is on it god it looks terrible.my previous car to this was in performance blue which i thought i would polish with auto glym super resin polish and completely swirled the car when the sun was on it, looked bad. PLEASE HELP.:embarrest:.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's normally the washing that does it. It will need a correction polish by machine to remove the swirls and a couple of layers of wax or sealant. From then on only wash with a mitt and the two bucket method. A sponge is a big no-no. Rinsing as much dirt off the car as possible either with snowfoam or just the jetwash helps.

SRP is a filler polish that will just mask the swirls. It is possible to polish swirls or deep scratches in if the paint isn't 100% clean before polishing. Claying and IPA wipedown is essential imo.

Also, autocorrect corrects jetwash to Jewish. I lol'd.

sorry but i think i may have droned on a bit to much about waxing and polishing that you misunderstood.the car is new and i am afraid of waxing or polishing it in case i put scratches on it and swirls what polishes and waxes and sealants are the ones to use???

OK, firstly tracklayer get yourself some Autoglym Super Resin polish, 2ndly, to not get swirls start on the bonnet at the screen(top), polish down & up, down & up turning the cloth every 2 up & downs, plus dampen the cloth with water first, just enough so u can feel its a bit damp, appply polish to cloth & away u go.. do the door either way, up & down or side to side, BUT keep your strokes straight. ..Nuff said, any probs get back to me any time ,,,but try a test area first....ttfn...

Most of that damage is done whilst washing, if you use a dual action polisher when you polish or wax it improves things a lot.

Make sure you know the difference between polish and wax though. ;)

just had a Cmax in lunar sky which as you probably know is a darkish brown the previous car was black and i am sooo afraid to polish or wax it as all i keep seeing on dark cars is swirling,either they are over waxed or lightly scratched with polishing at a guess??.my neighbour has a black car and uses mer what he doesnt realise is when the sun is on it god it looks terrible.my previous car to this was in performance blue which i thought i would polish with auto glym super resin polish and completely swirled the car when the sun was on it, looked bad. PLEASE HELP.:embarrest:.

Hello and Welcome!
Here in the States we have many issues with maintaining our rides. Especially like mine which is Deep Gloss Black!! :( One can spend an entire lifetime just trying to keep it clean yet alone highly polished and swirl free! Here is a link to a website that specializes in many products to help you. http://www.autogeek.net They also have a detailers forum to take the anxiety out of the process. |B

Use a waterless car cleaning product that adds a layer of wax and you'll get a streak and swirl free finish.

Be sure to use a very soft microfibre cloth though.