AFR + Distributor tuning

babyiswara

Car
Proton Iswara 1.5
Hello all. I'm Jason from Malaysia. Driving a Proton Iswara 12v, carburetor engine 1.5L. ;)

I've got a question about tuning the Air Fuel Ratio (AFR) and the distributor.

So, which should come to prior for tuning? AFR followed by Distributor? or Distributor followed by AFR? :confused:

After all, I've found some trouble on AFR tuning. I've got no idea the way of tuning a Air Fuel Ratio in a carburetor engine. How to make it ideal at the same time works efficiently with the ignition timing ( distributor ). Perhaps I could seek some help in this helpful forum. :blink1:

Secondly, I was told that if advance the ignition timing ( distributor ) too much, engine will starts knocking. But in my case, when i advance the ignition timing ( distributor turn clockwise till the maximum ), it doesn't happen any knocking. The only thing changes is the engine looks like revving higher while idle. Is this normal? :blink:

Rest assured babyiswara, someone on this forum will have the knowledge to help you directly! As our members are located around the world, time zones, and sometimes having to research a particular field of information can play a part in the length of time it might take before you receive a reply! ;)

it may take a while as very few members on here still use carbs and dizzy caps. most cars have swapped to individual coils with electronic sparks

Yea..that's right...mostly car already using Electronic Fuel Injection nowadays. But someone told me carburetor could be very powerful if finely tuned.

carbs can give big power but normally over such a small powerband. that and they can take alot of maintenance.
pikeymotorsports might be the member to get in touch with or old-git

is "pikeymotorsports" a nickname of a member in this forum?

anyhow, i'm still interested in this old-tech mechanical carbie here although I owned another cars based on electronics-controlled.