Aerodynamics on a road going drag 106 GTI

sneekydave

Car
106 GTI
heey all.

Whats peoples views on aerodynamic mods etc on road going cars.....I've seen people using masking tape etc over all the joins in the body work, removing ariels, mirrors etc.

I intended on removing wipers, mirrors, ariel, #!#!#!#!ty spoiler, masking tape over certain gaps that look like they may cause turbulance.....

Has any one done anything like this before? i dont mind removing loads if need be.

I know the main point of body-kits is to reduce the messy air flow below the vehical etc, could a deep chin spoiler/splitter be of any advantade? Or possibly lower the front a touch more maybe??

What about ally plating open areas under the car to prevent pockets of trapped air (parachute kinda effect) I only ask this as ally plating wouldn't cost a great deal and i do have some large areas under the car that look like they would catch/trap air under the car ( under the boot where my spare wheel was there is now a huge gaping holebefore the rear bumper.....this cant be good for drag)

all these cheap tiny mody may well add up to a resonable gain eventually.....i know this is pretty scientific to do properly like F1 etc but as some one said in a previous post if i get a well established/consistent run time then i may well start to notice all my little tweaks coming together.

Any cheeky ideas/advice/experience would be great chaps :)

If not done right you will get no benefit.
Filling in a gap underneath with a plate is a waste of time especially on a 106 ( no offence intended ) Plus the idea is to lose weight not put it on

If you are talking about time as in on the strip the best bet is to lighten the car as much as possible.

Taping things may well be a safety thing.

instead of fiddling around with really minor things like that, i would be getting the launch right. nothing you tape up or remove will make as much difference to a 1/4 mile time as getting off the line correctly. too many revs and you will wheelspin, too few and you will be sluggish. either of them will cost you dearly at the other end

instead of fiddling around with really minor things like that, i would be getting the launch right. nothing you tape up or remove will make as much difference to a 1/4 mile time as getting off the line correctly. too many revs and you will wheelspin, too few and you will be sluggish. either of them will cost you dearly at the other end

Yup, the 60 foot time is king.