ae86 guy. thinking about swapping to a new engine

86Nut

Car
ae86 comp build
hey all. new here. joined cause they had a decent write up on the 2az fe and fse engines. i have 2 ae86s. 1 im building a daily with. the other is going back to a beercan drift pig.

does anyone have expirience with the 2az fe? it seems more than available and has the power my 4age has right now after serious upgrades.

was thinking a newer easy to find engine, lightly modified to around 250hp, would do wonders in the drift car. currently sitting at 163hp, dynod before i installed the 8.8 rear end so probably less to the wheels now lol.

was looking on the web for swap mounts or even rwd conversion kits i.e. water necks and oil pan and such. would rather not have to have stuff custom made.

That will be a monster project, please start a project thread and keep us updated, I'm sure a fair few are interested in hearing how you get on with this.

Are you going to use the g-force 4speed transmission which seems favoured by drifters?

Also just throwing this in here as a lot of chats I've had with people flagged this up, Have you considered a 2RZFE as an alternative? It has the ECU, transmission etc setup for RWD?

Also the engine will likely sit higher in the engine bay, are you modding the hood to fit?

One issue you are likely to hit is that if you use an adapter plate between the donor engine and transmission you'll need to modify the end of the pilot bearing and then by using a thicker flywheel. The other option is to use a spacer on the flywheel and use longer flywheel bolts.

See what people are doing on the GT86 to get some ideas on what works and what doesn't, it shares a lot of similarities with the AE86 it was based on. The FWD engine to RWD mounts is a common problem so I'm sure ready made parts are available, its just tracking them down so if I turn anything up I'll let you know.

As a recent convert to Vtec power you could do worse than installing a Honda S2000motor and 6 speed box as they are 230 HP stock and your 86 would be lighter than the donor car.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back