Advise needed on HID light conversion

hough

Road Burner
Car
VW T5 swb 2.5tdi
Hey im thinking of converting the oem headlights on my BMW E46 to HID lights, but is there a kit i can use as a high and low beam, and is there a kit i can use as a full beam???

please help

I would also check to see if there is a conversion that is compliant with the MOT regs for 2012, more to it than just the basic kit.

There's a a lot of conjecture surrounding aftemarket kits, their suitability and their legality. Main beam is high beam incidentally.

The best was to convert, and one which definitely will be legal is to use OEM BMW HID lighting equipment fitted as an option to your car. You also must have a headlight washer system and either the suspension or the beams must be self levelling.

Here's a question, bearing in mind that the main reason for hid's becoming an mot failure is the beam pattern on dip, what if I have hid's in a pair of spot lights only working with the main beam lights?

To clear up whether or not HIDs will be an MOT failure have a look at this...

headlightrules.jpg

Hey im thinking of converting the oem headlights on my BMW E46 to HID lights, but is there a kit i can use as a high and low beam, and is there a kit i can use as a full beam???

please help

The high beam will be pointless as you will not be able to flash anyone due to the nature of HIDs 'warming up'. As a low beam you will need a H1 bulb iirc and canbus ready as your OBC will throw up warnings.

If auxiliary lights are wired so they go off when the main beams go off I think you can do whatever you like regarding wattage, beam pattern and mounting position etc.

HiDs are a mixed blessing for dipped beam applications.

wouldnt use both lights as HIDs as said you will need the time for the bulb to warm up. so flicking between dipped and full beams you would end up with less light for a short while.
sorta defeating the purpose.

Auto Bulbs Direct is a well respected supplier as well. I'm considering fitting HB4/9006 dipped beam units to my 528i. The factory lighting is poor even with Osram Night Breaker Plus + lamps fitted. So poor that I find myself stopping on occasions when there's oncoming traffic.

Auto Bulbs Direct is a well respected supplier as well. I'm considering fitting HB4/9006 dipped beam units to my 528i. The factory lighting is poor even with Osram Night Breaker Plus + lamps fitted. So poor that I find myself stopping on occasions when there's oncoming traffic.

I find the BMW lights aren't brilliant as well. Although I was used to JDM Honda lights (no reflectors) with HIDs.

Well been looking at some bi xenon dual beam hid lights, 35w with 5,000k bulbs with projectors, but saw something called red demon eyes are these road legal as i thought they looked quite cool?????

Attachments

• demon eyes 1.jpg
    demon eyes 1.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 2
  • demon eyes 2.jpg
    demon eyes 2.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 2
My 406 had stonking complex reflector lighting. Perfect beam patterns and lighting coverage down the road was stunning even simply using decent incandescent lamps. I think the Bavarians got a bit precious about light pollution a few years back.

It does look, unfortunately for all of us suffering with BMW's 'not so clever' dipped beams, that the MoT testing is going to be far more stringent come January 2012, with regard to aftermarket Xenon HID fitments.

It appears that VOSA and the DfT together are going to eliminate the grey area (! :) !) which currently exists.

The only way I can see to comply with the regs is to fit the same lighting equipment that would be available optionally from the factory when the car was new. I am fortunate as my cars has automatic beam levelling and the washer system, too. But a set of enclosures and ballasts from BMW is over £600.

and i thought getting a set of after market hid headlights was going to be a simple thing to do, but why do you need headlight washers and on the self leveling i have a dial on my dash board to adjust the height of the beam???

and i thought getting a set of after market hid headlights was going to be a simple thing to do, but why do you need headlight washers and on the self leveling i have a dial on my dash board to adjust the height of the beam???

RVLR says you must have either self levelling suspension or self levelling beams. Manual adjustment is not considered sufficient. Both this and the washer systems are required presumably because of the very high light output of HID lamps and their potential to cause glare to other road users.

Personally I think the law should be relaxed a little and make it the drivers responsibility to eusure that no glare occurs. After all, there are plenty of cars out there with mis-aligned filament lamps that cause glare and they get left well alone between MoT tests.

Washer systems and self levelling is not a must! Whether they pass an MOT or not is strictly up to the tester. If you are concerned then use shrouds to stop light being emitted everywhere.

Read the section under the sub-title 'Vehicles fitted with high intensity discharge (HID) or LED'.

headlightrules.jpg

Last edited:
Prince, we're not talking about the MoT exclusively. We're talking about compliance with the Road Vehicle Construction and Usage Regulations in addition.

Prince, we're not talking about the MoT exclusively. We're talking about compliance with the Road Vehicle Construction and Usage Regulations in addition.

If they're not required for an MOT, then surely it makes no difference. The car will technically be legal as it will have a valid MOT certificate.

If they're not required for an MOT, then surely it makes no difference. The car will technically be legal as it will have a valid MOT certificate.

That's the problem we all face. It won't automatically be road legal. An MoT certificate is a roadworthiness certificate, not a certificate of RVC & U compliance.

I agree that some of this seems a bit silly but that's the way it is. Let's face it, there are plenty of cars out there with poorly aligned halogen lamps that are filthy dirty yet this is considered acceptable.

The best way to ensure that you comply with the law is to retrofit the OEM HID equipment and all required ancillaries.