Advice to a new driver

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What one piece of advice would you give to a new driver that has just passed their test?

Mine would be "You're not immortal, invincible or even good at driving yet!"

Now you have a license, go and learn to drive. They are taught to pass a test, not control a car. There's plenty of places Nationwide where you can learn to drive properly, which will make your driving more fun and safer for yourself and all other road users.

It's not really so much car control as it is observation and planning. Modern cars are dead easy to drive and control on a physical level.

Additionally, I don't like the 'assume everyone else is an idiot.......' thing. This can lead to over-confidence; the new driver thinking they're the best thing since sliced bread and driving about the place way beyond their actual level of ability.

Confidence and ability have to grow together in my estimation.

Last edited:
It's not really so much car control as it is observation and planning. Modern cars are dead easy to drive and control on a physical level.

Additionally, I don't like the 'assume everyone else is an idiot.......' thing. This can lead to over-confidence; the new driver thinking they're the best thing since sliced bread and driving about the place way beyond their actual level of ability.

Confidence and ability have to grow together in my estimation.

I suppose so... Depends on how to perceive it. Not every one would take it as advice to be careful and keep an eye out at all times.

I suppose so... Depends on how to perceive it. Not every one would take it as advice to be careful and keep an eye out at all times.

I kind of don't like the idea of advice as such in any situation to anyone.

It can be taken as quite demeaning and patronising by the advisee.

Not a good platform upon which to develop relationships and interaction with others.

I think there's a learning curve in life that extends far beyond driving abilities. That cannot be taught as such - it has to be learned

Last edited:
I kind of don't like the idea of advice as such in any situation to anyone.

It can be taken as quite demeaning and patronising by the advisee.

Not a good platform upon which to develop relationships and interaction with others.

I think there's a learning curve in life that extends far beyond driving abilities. That cannot be taught as such - it has to be learned

Fair play to that one mate, I think the whole giving advice is, and can be very confusing for a learner or some one who has just passed. Different people tell you different things. As whats been said. I think the best thing is to let them drive. Your right, over time skills do develop and an attitude towards driving becomes better and your more prepared... Well depends on how your attitude is towards driving when you first pass anyway. A lot of lazy people out there.

Travel at speed and begin a turn then apply the handbrake as hard as needed to lock the rear wheels, the back end will then swing round and you'll have completed a handbrake turn. Congratulation on passing your test.

When taking a sharp turn on a wet road in a RWD and you floor it to do a power slide, don't forget to steer against the back side breaking out or you'll end up with a 180 facing the wrong way, and fancy moves are always practised first at lower speeds and always with absolutely no traffic in sight.

What one piece of advice would you give to a new driver that has just passed their test?

Mine would be "You're not immortal, invincible or even good at driving yet!"

I have a habit of driving as though I'm piloting a plane. Anything can go wrong mechanically at any time, aside from other road users stupidity, and of course there's pedestrians to look out for. So I am always looking for escape routes, side streets, gaps in traffic, parks and any line of driving I can use in an emergency.

I have had a brand new front tyre blow out on me at 70 MPH on a corner! So it can happen even when you have the best equipment.

Never take anything for granted.

Be constantly aware of your surroundings and what others are doing. They have not necessarily seen you next to them. Roundabouts are a crap shoot, make sure you watch everyone! Do indicate, do not cut in and out of lanes unsafely to try and prove you're faster, you're not, you just look like an idiot and endanger other road users. Be curteous to and patient with other road users. While I can't do the patience thing myself (oops) I am curteous and aware of other people needing to change lanes or get through traffic lights as well as me etc so drive with awareness and respect that other people have places to go too. Use common sense and observation to their max, and then add a bit more. lol. It's the only way to survive!

Christ. Reading the last few posts I think if I was a new driver I would be put off at the thort of driving and be even more nervous! lol

I think some new drivers need to relax a little more. They seem over tentative at the wheel, and that, in its self can be dangerous.

^^^^^ agree completely ^^^^^.

OK a very small level of conscious anxiety (possibly the wrong word) is good for anyone when driving. But it should manifest in the driver in being attentive and getting on with the job at hand quickly and safely. And, enjoyably. It's a fact that we ALL do better when we're enjoying something than when we're not.

Good post Mr BBJ

Don't be too assured, observe your rate and be conscious of what is going on around you.. . . .