advice please

Insight

I bought a 206 CC 1.6.. I just wondered if anyone knows what the best thing would be to tune/modify it and if it would be worth the money for whatever the increase in power would be.
Thanks!

Yes, it's worth doing if you want to get more enjoyment out of the car and aren't concerned with parting with some of your hard earned cash.

What would you most like to improve? Are you looking for straight line speed or some fun round the twisties?

Personally I would upgrade suspension first. Brakes are pretty decent on the 206cc (?! feel free to disagree) but I would be interested to know if they run a 266mm single piston caliper set-up or something a bit more meaty?

In terms of suspension, you are looking at some stiffer springs and sports shocks front and rear. In terms of 'lap times' this will give you the largest improvement. Upper and lower strut braces would also improive handling significantly. After that you are looking at more serious suspension mods such as poly bushes, group N or A engine mounts.. I'm not sure what size anti roll bar the 206cc runs as standard but a 25mm ARB might be an option.

If you are not interested in this side of things, then engine wise, go for breathing mods:
-Enclosed induction (air filter) without a resonator.
-Stainless exhaust system (manifold back, with the option of a sports cat or de-cat)

Make sure you don't scrimp on tyres! Get something a bit decent.

The 206cc is fairly light, and the chassis is also fairly stiff already. I would pretty much go along with Freddies recommendations but as he said it does depend what you want from the modifications.

Hiya thanks for the replys, probably to increase the power/acceleration. I saw this article about superchips and I went to the site and it said it would increase it by 8bhp, I know it's like 7% but would I notice the difference?

So yea probably straight line speed/acceleration increases, also any idea how much hard earned cash it would be for this?

P.S. I believe the brakes are good haven't had to properly test them thank god!

I don't think you would notice the 8bhp more from a chip - but remember that to get the full increase all other things have to be perfect. For the cost involved in a chip upgrade I really do not think it would be worth it. The ultimate adon has to be a turbo but this can cost a few grand. Stick with the fun mods for now - induction kit for the roar and exhaust for the sporty sound - the car will feel much faster than it is.

Agreed.

A decent mapping session on the rollers will cost you around £400. Not worth it unless you are mapping your ECU to suit other engine mods.

Oh and stay away from 'Superchips'..

Standard ECU can be tweaked to perform better than a piggy-back chip, so stick with it unless you are going for standalone management.

Yo Freddie - you made it to ROAD BURNER! Well done - 250 Posts - we should give you the bumps or something!

Okay thanks for the advice so concluding you think the best option is...

-Enclosed induction (air filter) without a resonator.
-Stainless exhaust system (manifold back, with the option of a sports cat or de-cat)

where can you get prices and guides for that?

- A decent enclosed induction (Green or BMC etc..) you are looking at £150+

- Stainless exhaust manifold £150+

- Stainless exhaust system £300+

(As a rough guide)

Have a hunt around online shops and eBay..

P.S. I didn't need you to tell me I'm a road burner Wayne, I already know that all too well! But thanks anyway! Are we the two top post counts?

BHP is the power the engine makes at a certain engine speed. Torque is what you 'feel' (when you get pushed back into the seat during acceleration, that's torque, not bhp)

And Freddie, you have me a little confused with:

Standard ECU can be tweaked to perform better than a piggy-back chip, so stick with it unless you are going for standalone management.

street-racer-chip.jpg

^ This is a 'superchip'

unichip.jpg

^ This is a piggyback computer. It intercepts the signals from the cars various sensors and changes the fuel and ignition timing, whereas the 'superchip' comes programmed with a preset fuel and ignition map and replaces the chip inside the standard ECU.

I'd go with a piggyback over a chip anyday.

I was referring to the fact that superchips come pre-programmed. Think about it. Pre programmed to what? To suit the needs of a different car? Remapping the STD ECU will give a better map for less money, in my opinion.

But fair play on the comment regarding the difference between superchips and piggyback computers, I walways regarded anything which you add onto the ECU, ie. a superchip, to be a piggyback, which is not correct.[/b]