advice on specific performance mods please

Reubiedoo

Wrench Pro
Hi fellas

I currently own a 1997 gti 16v. It is absolutely unmodified. I am a total beginner, so am looking for pointers really. I know advice differs from engine to engine, and I have found some advice on here for the 8v and don't know if it translates.

Hoping you guys might be able to advise what is a useful mod for this car, what exactly the mod is, how much it will cost and how effective it is.

i.e. doing (x) is pretty expensive but boosts your low down pull significantly. It involves replacing your (y) with a lighter one which allows (z) to do do its job more effectively.

or you can replace the (a) for not a lot of money, but gains won't be significant.

Thinking of dropping the car a bit and putting new alloys on (so any advice on good makes or alloys that help this car handle/grip better appreciated) but other than tidying the body that is all i am going to do to the body. Want to focus on performance really (and ideally a bit of mpg!).

All advice gratefully accepted.

Reu.

PS - my car has done over 140k. Is there anyway of giving the system a 'spring clean' to make sure I'm getting everything it can give, short of taking it all apart - cos i'm not that capable.

hey and welcome to the site
stick to basics first mate full exhaust and intake.
lowering dont really go much lower than 40mm.
alloys wont help grip but will effect the handling by going for light ones this will reduce the unsprung weight. tyres are the most important in grip and handling

as for over 140k other than a good service then nope it woulde involve a strip down

your engine is an ABF code engine 150bhp standard, these respond very well to tuning!

panel filter, stainless 4-1 manifold and straight through 2.5" exhaust with sports cat should see you at 155-160bhp.porting and polishing the head, along with bigger valves and a gasflowed throttle body and port matching the inlet manifold should see you add another 10bhp ish, and A remap from revo should gain you another 10bhp.

that lot will prob cost:

gasflowed TB £50
port matching inlet - DIY or bought for about £70-130
P&P'd head with bigger valves -£500
Revo Remap £300
panel filter £50
4-1 manifold £200
Sports cat and zorst £350

Plenty of dough to spend out, but should see you with 185-195 flywheel bhp in the end.

mate of mine is running an abf with all of the above (minus remap) and Bike carbs, last rolling road session showed 195bhp at the wheels, over 230 at the fly.

as with all mk3's, reducing weight is key and lighter,wider alloys will help also. upgrade the brakes to fast road items and your car will also be quicker point to point.