Advice on Painting

Graham W

Wrench Pro
Car
Beetle 1500 weekend
Evening all

I am a classic Bettle owner (1970 1500) and it has come to the stage of touching the rust bubbles up. Cannot bring myself to pay for a full respray job but I am willing to have ago myself. Please qould someone give me some advice on the paint gun I need (up to £50) I do have a 50Lt compressor if this is of any use. Also need to know the primer, Filler and paint i should be using.

I have dome quick touch ups before with the good old rattle cans but I now need to do a better job on my bug.
I will post pics of the bug bit untilI do 10 posts I am umable to

Hope I have come to the right forum and car talk page

cheers

Graham

ps I will do a daily post when I start if this helps anyone like me (new to painting)​

Have you read through the articles on the main site? If not have a read through: http://www.torquecars.com/styling/paintshop-tips-x.php

yes i have thats how i found this site. Found it very helpfull. Just wanted to know if other people have had a go at doing there own spray painting and how easy it really is. I think towards the back end I will tale the car of the raod and do a panel at a time.

thanks for the reply.

Graham

WOW id love to see how this turns out. Have you thought of hiring a spray gun - it works out cheaper and you usually get a good quality one. The nozzle size depends largely on the paint you choose. Are you going for a special finish? If not a standard acrylic with a clear coat should suffice. Dark undercoats under dark paint and light undercoats under light paint and dont forget to sand the paint down between stages with a fine grit of wet and dry.

What model of DUB is it? They can look silly with mdern colours I personally like the orange tinged yellow paint.

WOW id love to see how this turns out. Have you thought of hiring a spray gun - it works out cheaper and you usually get a good quality one. The nozzle size depends largely on the paint you choose. Are you going for a special finish? If not a standard acrylic with a clear coat should suffice. Dark undercoats under dark paint and light undercoats under light paint and dont forget to sand the paint down between stages with a fine grit of wet and dry.

What model of DUB is it? They can look silly with mdern colours I personally like the orange tinged yellow paint.

dubs a 1500 white standard Bug. to be honest its in vgc. under the car is as clean as on top. but these bloody bubbles P**s me off and having a respray defeats the object of having a vw. I bought it to look after and keep it looking good. As soon as my 10 posts are up i will pos some pics

cheers for the interest

Graham

Hi and welcome graham. The key is taking your time. White paint can be really hard to match up are you going to do the panels or just the areas of rust? Dont forget to use a rust inhibiter otherwise it will keep coming back.

Have you waxoiled the underneath?

Fully waxoiled the underneath. Underneath is so clean you could eat your dinner of it. The car doesnt see much rain. Sometimes i wonder wether or not I should have the bug. i should use it more oftern BUT i dont like it getting wet. Silly i Know

Paint wise, I was going to take a part of the car to a colour matcher and hope this will be close enough. I am very tempted to paint the whole car but 95% is fine, near perfect. maybe its just me been a fussy sod lol

I will post a pic or two on later tonight now I have hit the 10 posts

cheers

graham

ps whats a good filler and rust preventer. I used to use kurust (think thats what its called)

Pics will come Waynne

Just starting to get bits and bobs now. I have a big garage but i need to clean it up so i went and bought some BIG tarps from Costco. i will drape these around the car to try and keep it dust free. Need advice on a spray gun. I have seen one in srewfix with seems ok. Need to know the best rusr proofer and primer. Then i need to know the kind of top coat srpay I need. Still trying to find out but it seems like an up hill struggle

any advice from people who have done there own would be nice.

I will start the job towards the back end of the year

Graham

Kurust is a pretty good rust killer. It forms a black coating on the metal so sand it down first then apply a liberal coating of kurust. Hopefully it is just surface bubbles if it is deeper you should ideally cut it away and then build up the metal again.

What is the spec on the spray gun you have found on screwfix?