Advice on ECU remap for Octavia II 1.8TSI

varunsonu

Car
skoda laura 1.8 TSI
hi!!
i own a skoda Octavia II 1.8TSI, 160 bhp and its an awesome machine...
but i just got to know that i can get more punch of the same engine without any new installations i.e. , through ECU remap..

all i want to know is that is it advisable? and what are its harmful effects and also is it worth it??

btw i found a site called superchips they are committing a 53 bhp increase in power with just the remap.. IS IT ANY GOOD??

THANKS

Last edited by a moderator:
yes the 53 might be slightly optimistic but i would say your looking for at least 40.

harmful side effects :
more stress on the engine - service it slightly more often
fuel consumption - will drink slightly more ive the older 1.8t without the FSI and lost maybe 1mpg since my remap
tyres - more power and torque will mean you will eat them quicker

In general you should be fine, as PG says keep the servicing done more frequently. Let the turbo spin down after a run rather than just switch off (common sense on all turbo cars remapped or not).

The car is still quite new so the clutch and everything else should be more than able to cope.

IIRC the Superchips offer generic remaps (off the shelf) for best results get a custom remap done which sets your car up as well as it possibly can be.

thanks for the replies guys..

since i am in delhi, INDIA there are very few remap dealers here as it is not very common.. nd 90% of people here are advising me to not do it.. but i have made up my mind..

just want to know that will it void the warranty? and over here i have access to 91 RON petrol only.. so will i be good with this fuel after the remap? and also i don't have any mods installed on the engine so will stock parts be able to handle the extra punch since i am not planning on installing any performance parts (because of the warranty)

lastly, i will have to go with superchips because people here do not have the skills to do a custom remap and revo dosen't have a dealer here..

thanks

yes it will invalidate the warranty -realistically any modification will invalidate it.
91 RON wouldnt be good enough in this country my handbook says 98 ron and my map was set up for 98 ron.

saying that however 98 ron over here is 95 ? in the USA so you may find that your 91 is equivalent to our 95 and so the map could be adjusted to suit the lower fuel.

as for no other mods installed then a generic map will be fine

hi!!
i own a skoda Octavia II 1.8TSI, 160 bhp and its an awesome machine...
but i just got to know that i can get more punch of the same engine without any new installations i.e. , through ECU remap..

all i want to know is that is it advisable? and what are its harmful effects and also is it worth it??

btw i found a site called superchips they are committing a 53 bhp increase in power with just the remap.. IS IT ANY GOOD??

THANKS

Phase I remap will increase around 40 BHP on your car , you can try custom code remap , would cost you around 35K in india , and varun , forgot to say hello to you , i'm from India too , live in meerut , near New Delhi , i also own a vRS but in india , this car comes detuned and has around 150 BHP in stock condition , i' m also getting a remap done in a week , if you still haven't done the remap , pm me , i will help you locate the man .