adjustable height suspension

C

cobra

Hi i am investigating the options available to install an adjustable height suspension system for a space frame off/on road vehicle.
the all up weight of the car will be about 1800kg
i need to adjust the height by about 150mm without effecting stiffness or changing the ride quality.
it seems a hydraulic system would do the job. does anyone have experience of a suitable system or ideas any info would be much appreciated.
cheers

Innteresting first post ????????

f I read your details correctly you have a db9 ? I am assuming that this refers to another car as the idea of raisng a db9 by six inches is.............................

KW do a coilover system that has an airbag on the top to allow a 40mm change in ridehight without adjusting the length of the spring.
might be worth speaking to some airbag companies about something similar. although im sure that such a big change will upset how the wheel sits in relation to the road

150mm is a huge change to make to any car and it will have effects upon handling and ride. As PG says the wheels will not sit on the road correctly with such a severe alteration to ride height.

Q is why? What does a DB9 not do on its factory settings that you are trying to achieve?

Err, I don't think the mods are for the DB, cobra is talking about a different, on/off road, vehicle :)

If you want to be able to adjust the ride height without it altering the wheel camber, then one way would be to use equal length top and bottom wishbones.

Last edited:
Err, I don't think the mods are for the DB, cobra is talking about a different, on/off road, vehicle :)

If you want to be able to adjust the ride height without it altering the wheel camber, then one way would be to use equal length top and bottom wishbones.

Yes I can see that geometrically - but surely it's going to ride like a trolley jack if the spring rates are stiffened accordingly. 6" increase in ride height is massive

Agreed. However, we are talking about an off road setup, so the ride comfort isn't so important.

Yes and no. An increase in ride height of 6" is no big deal as many off roaders have more. It's the adjustability part that's the bitch.