Adding a turbo to non turbo car

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
By Anonymous on Sunday, October 30, 2005 - 03:33 pm: Edit

i have turbod my 2.0 vectra but i have had the cylinder bored out to take oversize pistons ive done everything right . but for all those people who think its easy. you musnt forget if your blowing more air in you need more fuel in too.. and this alone cost me in excess of £800

By James (195.93.21.37) on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 03:00 pm: Edit

By Paul Foster on Saturday, April 24, 2004 - 09:50 pm: Edit

Ive got a 1993 Honda Prelude 2.2 Vtec, how do I go about adding a turbo, can a turbo be added to this where can I go to get this done?

Cheers

If you are talking about a petrol engine you will need to lower the CR as well.

By Ferdy (80.45.171.128) on Monday, January 24, 2005 - 10:05 am: Edit

You will also need a stronger gearbox and I recommend going for a LS Diff.

By Anonymous on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 11:48 am: Edit

You can add a turbo to any car but it usually requires a complete ECU reprogram and a new induction and exhaust setup.

Isn't the 2.2 fast enough for you?

They also break a lot and cost a fortune to maintain - a lesson I learned from my Rover. (This topic is ancient- I almost forgot it existed it was just a few posts I pulled from YE OLDE stone carved forum! :shock: )

turbochargers are robust devices provided you allow some engine and oil warm up time.

Also, you need to allow the oil temperature to stabilise before switching off after a quick drive.

They are odd things, turbos free spinning little wheels - the clever bit is controlling that. Old fashioned spring or vacuum wastegates are just that.

Current fashion is to use a pair of turbos. Prior to that is was the variable vane technology.

I predict a time when a large and small turbo will be combined in a twin turbo setup to combat lag and give BIG power gains. :wink:

I can't remeber which car it is, might be one of the new Audi's. But this car has the 2 turbos and one is constantly running to give instant boost and after 2,000-3,000 revs the other kicks in and gives you the main boost.

Very clever as it almost completly eliminates any turbo lag. I will look into it a bit more.

Cheers mate - it makes sense to do it that way, and I didn't realise that someone had already put it into production.

Theres a guy in Belgum thats done both Supercharger and Turbo to create the exact same effect, and it was a Calibra V6 aswell lol.

All he did was take the lowest compressiopn supercharger from the 1.8 Merc Kompressor which as mentioned before works constantly and then a big ass dirty turbo for the main part of the boost. Thinks he's running 5.153 seconds to 60 mph and the car only has 308bhp lol.

Because superchergers draw power from the engine to run which enables them to kick from tick over, the boost is there straight away and with the combination of the Garrett T34 turbo (hude thing as most scoobies and evo's are around garrett T26 - T28 ) the way the car drives is completly different.

I mean, can you imagine having the pull off of a supercharged car without losing any of that boost when the revs build up, and then getting another 100bhp or so of boost half way through the revs.

If you added NOS aswell you would be looking at one SICK CAR!!!! :shock:

the supra twin turbo uses the small and large turbo set up as well, quite amusing to drive if you havnt driven one before and you plant your foot like i did :shock: biggest drift i did that wasnt intentional

assymetric turbo charging has been going on for a while - Saab and Volvo have used this trick to compensate for inertial lag in a big blower.

BMW's 535d (which as a 3 litre unit) uses a pair of different size units.